Bare Aluminum Hulls - pros/cons?

Rustedbrit

Seaman
The '64 Starcraft Jupiter is still in the water, and i'm trying to plan out the restoration process so its ready next season. Part of that plan is to start with stripping the hull to remove the suspect application of petit, which is now flaking off. I've contacted some soda blasting operators, looks like it will cost ~$200-300 to strip a hull my size.

This boat will be utilized in freshwater only.

Anyone consider or commit to a bare aluminum hull on their tinny?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Bare Aluminum Hulls - pros/cons?

The only con for me on a bare tin hull is the saltwater, other than that it's all good!

Your resto will be cheaper and quicker.

You won't have to worry about scratching your new paint, and you won't have to touch it up when you do.

If you have to make a repair to your hull you won't have to touch that up either.

Bare aluminum is sexy!

jbcurt00

Staff member

You might want to scan thru some of the threads here & here. Bare tin is definitely making a big comeback @ the tinny's on iBoats. Some the entire hull, some above/below a line on the hull sides, some just the transom. But yep, it's definitely nice looking. SharkHide will help keep it looking good once stripped, there are other products available as well. I think a couple different products are discussed in the thread links I posted above.

If it takes a few days w/ sanders & paint stripper do remove the hull paint, is your time & effort worth the $250+/-? Dry ice may also be an option for blasting.

I only have a little time & not much $, so it will be a struggle for me to decide if I'd like to have bare tin showing anywhere.... Flaking Petit does make the decision easier, you've got to do some work on the hull's paint anyway....

Rustedbrit

Seaman

This is starting to sound like an easy decision. I don't have much time or dough either, but if i DIY I'llend up spending ~ $300 on stripping and coating materials anyway.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Pros and Cons. A bare tin hull is much easier to maintain. Con everybody wants to shine them up and this removes the natural oxidation that creates a highly protective barrier against corrosion. Sharkhide is a good compromise if you want to keep it protected but it's not all that easy to apply correctly. Notice I said correctly. If it's not done perfect it's not a total loss. However, the streaks and missed patches will show quickly and you'll be fixing those for what seems like forever.

If you're using it in high alkaly or salt water I definitely recommend a bare hull if it's a trailered boat. If it's going to be left in salt water then a bottom coating is a must.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Don't have to guess what I think!!:D

I would jump on that soda blasting number - give it a quick polish and call it a day!!

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

jbcurt hit it pretty square on the nose. I spent probably at least 40 hours stripping, sanding, polishing and sharkhyding my Starchief. It's quite a bit bigger than your Jupiter, but I also got it to a point where I decided enough is enough and declared it acceptable. As for materials, I used 2-1/2 gallons of stripper, probably 2 dozen sheets of sandpaper (220, 400 and a couple 150), 2 or 3 tubes of polish and 4 brass coated wire wheels. I had a quote of $500-$800 to soda blast inside and out. I kinda wish I had paid it, but I did get to intimately know every inch of the outside of the hull so I was able to spot and fix a couple small corrosion holes. I chose the bare look mostly because I wasn't confident I could prep well enough for a good paint job. I'm a lousy painter. So, whatever you decide, have fun! I hope this info is helpful in some way :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

jbcurt hit it pretty square on the nose. I spent probably at least 40 hours stripping, sanding, polishing and sharkhyding my Starchief. It's quite a bit bigger than your Jupiter, but I also got it to a point where I decided enough is enough and declared it acceptable. As for materials, I used 2-1/2 gallons of stripper, probably 2 dozen sheets of sandpaper (220, 400 and a couple 150), 2 or 3 tubes of polish and 4 brass coated wire wheels. I had a quote of $500-$800 to soda blast inside and out. I kinda wish I had paid it, but I did get to intimately know every inch of the outside of the hull

I too am intimately familiar w/ the interior hull on my Jet and a couple gallons of stripper:mad:

Step away from the bedliner in the paint aisle and nobody gets hurt!:facepalm:

dozerII

Admiral

MarHyde Talstrip 2 aircraft stripper, plastic scrappers, a pressure washer, 7" variable speed polisher and Sonus Polish and Protectant, and a couple of good friends that like free beer and you can end up with this.

113.jpg

64osby

Admiral

I'm wasting a lot of time doing this.
LSTransomNew1.jpg

LSLegalized.jpg

But I like it, helps hide 48 years of dock rash and abuse.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Osby - But I like your engine turned look. The way the turnings radiate from the drain is a neat effect. And I doubt you will ever have to polish.

64osby

Admiral

GA - Thanks and so do I, it just takes a lot of time. Maybe next year, when it's finished, it will look better than any paint job I could have done on this boat.

Rustedbrit

Seaman

Allright, you dudes got me! Scheduling the blasting for sometime in August. I'll post lots of pics...before and after.:cool: