automotive decarb?

wormboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is it ok to use automotive carb cleaner to decarb a 2-stroke? Can't find the deep creep spray locally, but have the seafoal fuel additive.
thanks

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: automotive decarb?

Deep creep is seafoam in a spry can. The benifit of this is that is has oil in it so when you are running the motor and spraying the deep creep in you are also getting lube.
I know NAPA and Advance Auto carry it.

wormboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks eepks-- i did find a napa store that had it--- now my neighbors hate me from the smoke... what else is new?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

smoke is very good in the decarb process. now do the car, lawn mower, weedeater.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

And the diesel antique tractors. 8)

Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If you're laughing at me quit it. I am as serious as I can get. The stuff works great on all of the above. One reason I talk about it all the time is the fact that when I first arrived on this site I scoffed at the guys telling me I needed to do it to my OB. Well, I'm eating crow, in deep repent and don't want others to make the stupid mistake I did. :%

Mark

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

To answer your question.... NO do not use any autmotive carb cleaner on carbs installed on your engine. They do not contain the lubricants and washes away the lubricants on the cylinder walls.

Sea Foam, Mercury engine tuner, or OMC engine tuner were designed for this.