Autocraft Marine 12-Volt Marine/RV Dual-Purpose Service Battery Part No. 31DP-6

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is the battery i am thinging of for my boat. It will be for starting and a stereo. I am on a budget right now so I thought this might do me well for now. maybe a fish finder later on. Does anyone know is this atleast a decent one? Any info will help. Thank You.

Autocraft Marine 12-Volt Marine/RV Dual-Purpose Service Battery Part No. 31DP-6
Battery Type: Lead Acid
BCI Group Size: 31
Cold Cranking Amps: 675 amps
Cranking Amps: 840 amps
Deep Cycle/Starting: Deep Cycle
Height: 9 7/16 in
Length: 13 in
Maintenance Free: Yes
Reserve Capacity: 210 min
Terminal Type: Combination Auto / Stud Terminal
Voltage: 12 v
Weight: 59 lbs
Width: 6 13/16 in

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Autocraft Marine 12-Volt Marine/RV Dual-Purpose Service Battery Part No. 31DP-6

We have no idea what engine you have nor the power requirements of the audio system. Although you cannot have too much battery, you can have too little. Unless you have a boat with a huge engine and stereo system that inicludes a high power amp, a group 31 battery is very likely overkill. But as I said, too much power is better than not enough. Trolling motor on this boat?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Autocraft Marine 12-Volt Marine/RV Dual-Purpose Service Battery Part No. 31DP-6

I agree with Silvertip, and yes, it will work, assuming you are referring to your 60hp Johnson outboard, it's more than enough for starting. Just make sure the charging system works on the motor. It will work for stereos as well. How long depends on the stereo.

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes it is the 60hp johnson. As for the stereo not sure yet looked today but still not sure. Not to sure about the trolling motor yet either i will say no for now. I know the stereo will not be any thing big just some noise while out haveing fun. Also not sure what the different class or series of batteries mean just thought this battery looked good for the price. Thanks.

Don S

A 24 series starting battery will start a Big block 7.4L Chevy V8. The 27 is larger than a 24, and the 31 is larger than a 27.
Since it's a deep cycle battery, it doesn't have the cold cranking amps of a starting battery, but for a 60hp outboard, it's no problem at all.
It will be fine for your purpose.
Trolling motor ??????? It will work for a trolling motor as well, but you don't want a single battery for a trolling and engine battery.

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you. I will eventually get a second battery but for now one will have to do.

fucawi

Banned

What you are buying is a starting battery with a label saying Dual purpose so it will be fine for your application. Only way with stereos is to measure the current they draw with an ammeter at your normal listening volume as the power ratings are totally hyped much like battery bulllshiitt

Remember marine CCA is different from auto CCA multiply the marine x 0.77 to get the Auto figure if that is quoted in your data

dwparker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What you are buying is a starting battery with a label saying Dual purpose so it will be fine for your application. Only way with stereos is to measure the current they draw with an ammeter at your normal listening volume as the power ratings are totally hyped much like battery bulllshiitt

Remember marine CCA is different from auto CCA multiply the marine x 0.77 to get the Auto figure if that is quoted in your data

Marine/auto CCA? Marine Cranking Amps (MCA) is synonymous with Cranking Amps (CA), both indicating a battery's cranking capacity at 32F degrees. Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is cranking capacity at 0F degrees.

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank You

fucawi

Banned

So more bull to confuse the unwary and give the salesman the edge ...thanks Dubya

Don S

So more bull to confuse the unwary and give the salesman the edge ...thanks Dubya

Dubya is correct

Here is a chart from Mercruiser showing battery requirements. Note how it lists both. CCA and MCA?
There is no such thing as a marine cca or an automotive cca.

Batt requierments.jpg

fucawi

Banned

Quote " There is no such thing as a marine cca or an automotive cca.

In your small part of the globe maybe but america is not the world ......In my world there are cold cranking amps for auto at -32 deg C and cold cranking amps for marine at 0 deg C Naturally the marine figure looks better than the auto.

The only true guide that the makers have not corrupted yet is Reserve Capacity....time to discharged at 25 A

dwparker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Quote " There is no such thing as a marine cca or an automotive cca.

In your small part of the globe maybe but america is not the world ......In my world there are cold cranking amps for auto at -32 deg C and cold cranking amps for marine at 0 deg C Naturally the marine figure looks better than the auto.

The only true guide that the makers have not corrupted yet is Reserve Capacity....time to discharged at 25 A

I can't seem to find your world. I used Google and it fails to find anything about battery cranking capacity at -32 deg C. I know Google covers the globe.

Makers and sellers can corrupt any industry standard. Just yesterday, I was in a Battery Plus store and noticed their Marine Xtreme battery Reserve Capacity was rated at 23A vs industry standard of 25A. The key is to know the standard and inquire as to whether the manufacturer use the standard.

Most Americans, when they run across someone digging a hole for themselves, try to help by removing the shovel. You seem to have a pretty strong grip on you shovel.