Attwood fuel seperator and fuel starvation

Ocean31@bellsouth.net

Seaman Apprentice
I am the new owner of a 69 Katama class Boston Whaler. One of the first things I did was install a Attwood fuel water separator from Walmart. I had a problem when I first purchased the boat with water in the fuel tank. I pulled the tank, emptied all the fuel, cleaned the insides and even used a small hand pump to get the last little bit out.

After getting all the problems with the engine worked out. I got a chance to take her to the lake and run the engine. I found the fuel primer bulb collapses and the engine quits from lack of fuel. Wait a minute or two and the primer bulb will pull fuel from the tank.

Now what I have done is checked, and or replaced all the hoses, fuel fittings, and so on. No air leaks and no restrictions. I started at the stiff plastic hose inside of the fuel tank and went all the way to the engine. I installed new primer bulb, end fittings and so on?..
I am running a Tempo 12 gallon plastic tank installed under the seat platform. I have the fuel water separator installed on the port side of the platform attached to the bottom edge of the platform thru bolted into the wood that runs along the bottom of the platform. This leaves the actual canister about three inches above the top of the fuel tank. From there it goes about 20 inches, then the primer bulb, and then finishes up at the engine. I am running 5/8 hose throughout, and I have a 115 1973 Evinrude.

So my question(s) are??
Should I have installed the filter canister below the tank top?
Should I have installed the filter canister after the primer bulb?
Is it the filter itself? I only have about 30 minutes on this canister, mostly on land with a garden hose, fixing the engine. But I know Attwood has had some quality control issues, so should I go get another canister, maybe change to a Sierra canister?

Any thoughts? I have found this forum is a outstanding place to find a answer.

THanks

Ocean

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Attwood fuel seperator and fuel starvation

fuel/water sep. filter, can be before or after the bulb. you may have too fine a filter on it.

fuel bulb collapsing, is due to no air getting into the fuel tank, open the vent on the fuel tank. the fuel pump cannot suck fuel out of a vacuum.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Water separating fuel filters work on gravity, and should be mounted in the most stable position possible to minimize agitation. Your installation sounds OK. Sierra has flters that will fit the Atwood brackets.

Ocean31@bellsouth.net

Seaman Apprentice

fuel/water sep. filter, can be before or after the bulb. you may have too fine a filter on it.

fuel bulb collapsing, is due to no air getting into the fuel tank, open the vent on the fuel tank. the fuel pump cannot suck fuel out of a vacuum.

Nah, it is as open as open can get, actually I take the cap on the fuel tank off, same situation.

But it sounds like no one has a problem with the actual installation, next step try a different filter.

Thanks for the replys.
JSB

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The filters are directional. Are you sure you have the fuel lines connected to the filter housing correctly?

Ocean31@bellsouth.net

Seaman Apprentice

The filters are directional. Are you sure you have the fuel lines connected to the filter housing correctly?

Yes, that was my first thought also, there is a in and a out on each end, there are set correct.

Good question though

Thanks

JSB

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just got an 1973 Evinrude 115. Did you ever figure out an answer to your problem? I would also like to replace the fuel lines and install a fuel water seperator.

Thanks for your help.

crestviewman

Recruit

On this same topic, I'm installing this Attwood fuel/separator on my boat due to problems with water in the fuel, or at least I think that is my problem. Haven't had any problem since replacing the electronic brain box, but I removed the tank for the purpose of reducing weight for electric motor use in state lake and water must of gotten in. Ready to go back into the bay, we attached her back to the engine and added 3 gal of new gas and launched her. She ran great when we first got in, but about 4 minutes into the test run by the docks she started spitting and sputtering until she stopped. Let it set for a few minutes and started back up. Same thing all over again, so trolled back to boat lunch and took her home. Cleaned out the old gas and refilled with new. Went to WallyWorld and picked up the Attwood S2090 fuel/water separating kit. Not being very marine motor savvy I was surprised to find the kit had no installation instructions. Not even a picture of the process. Now I'm trying to learn how to install it the proper way. I'm running a 14' fiberglass boat, 30 hp 1985 Evenrude, new 6 gal plastic fuel can and new hose.

Would like to know the following, PLEASE, very limited funds to do anything and blessed to even have the boat.

1.) Mount it above, level, or below the tank position?
2.) Is this separator designed to use with 2 engines, thus the two lines in and out? If so is that why you insert the two plugs that came in the kit?
3.) Is the weight of the tank and 6 gals enough to even be removing the tank in the first place, (for Electric Trolling)?

Thanks for any and all help. My first boat at 60 is a little late to start learning marine motor stuff.