Anyone advise/use bottom paint remover.

mannyq

Seaman
I have some areas on the hull that need minor gelcoat repair. Since I will alway be trailering, I don't see the need to keep the bottom painted so I want to remove it all. Does anyone how cleanly the paint will come off and what would be the best product to use? Looks to be 2 different coats on a 2000 boat. In some areas small chips have flaked off and left clean gelcoat. I'm hoping the rest of the paint will behave the same. This wont be happening till spring time when warm temperatures return to the area.<br />Thanks.

mattttt25

Commander
Re: Anyone advise/use bottom paint remover.

i have been told interlux sells a product to remove bottom paint that works well. with the chipping, the person who painted the bottom may have not prepared it properly by sanding the gelcoat. if you're lucky, you may be left with a gelcoat that just needs some cleaning and waxing. good luck-

Columbia

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't recommend a product but this I can...read the caveats carefully. If it says not for fiberglass, believe it. It will soften the glass. Be sure what you buy is rated for fiberglass.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Hi Helios,i would recommend you first pressure wash the bottom concentrating on the edges of the chipped areas.If the painter did not prepare properly ,he did you a favor.You may be able to get a significant amount of paint off before you have to use a stripper.The stripper i would recommend is Peel away.It gets brushed on and then a special paper film gets put on the area and left overnight.Most of the paint will come off easily and you can use a plastic scraper to get the rest.It is about 50$ a gallon so it aint cheap,but it is easy.Easy off oven cleaner works too but it is very strong stuff.Good luck!!!! Charlie

mannyq

Seaman

crazy charlie;<br />Easy Off???? Can you elaborate on this?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Pick a spot and spray some oven cleaner on it.Wait a little while and scrape it off.It will work similar to a paint stripper but be careful!!!! It is very strong stuff.You dont want any overspray on anything.Charlie