Anyone add seating to a Walkaround?

RJP

Recruit
I am considering the purchase of a used Wellcraft 24 walkaround. However, there is only seating for 4, which is making it difficult for me to sell the idea to my wife. I'd like to add at least 2 seats so we can bring a few friends out. The boat will be used on Lake St. Clair, which can be a choppy/rough mess on a saturday afternoon, so whatever i do must be sturdy and safe.
I was wondering if anyone might have experience adding seats where they were not designed to be.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
RJP

gss036

Commander
Re: Anyone add seating to a Walkaround?

That is hard to do on a walk around. I have a 23 ft and my wife has bugged me about adding seating as I only have 2 seats and really don't know where I could add more and still have fishing room. I am ok w/a couple standing, after getting there, then lots of room to sit on the transom. Most of the extra seats I have seen are fixed to a bulk head and then folds down.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I moved from a walk-around to a cabin boat, but I do like the w/a style for ease of use. Couple things come to mind.

You can always carry deck chairs- leave them home or toss them in the cabin when you don't have passengers. That's what I did.

If you won't be using it much as a fishing boat, take a look at pontoon boat seating. Lots of variety. There are long units, corner units, etc. Might find something there.

There are also 'swing back" seats that you can mount in the center of the cockpit. Some have built-in ice chests. They come app. 3-4' wide. Passengers can face forward or aft.

maxum2400sc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a 21' sea swirl walk around. I too had the same problem with not having enough comfortable seating. It seemed that we used the boat more for pleasure boating then I did for fishing. I designed and fabricated my own bench seat that also was able to slide out into a lounge area or I could remove it when I wanted to go fishing. However a month after I made it I sold the boat and bought a sport cuddy. Here is a pic of it

100_0380.jpg

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Very nice job!

RJP

Recruit

That looks great. I also like the pontoon corner seat idea. That might be something comfortable, safe, and easily removeable. Now i need to see how they might fit.