Anybody hear of an Excel 175 speed boat

Buckey

Cadet
I buddy of mine has this boat for sale, it appears to follow the same design as the Vanguard Phantom and the Glastron CVX16. Its got the same windshield as the Glastron and an identical hull. Anybody have any information on this boat? It has a break in the transom and I wanted to see what it would take to repair that. Floors are solid so I'm thinking it might be a good buy at 500 bucks. I currently have a Vanguard Banshee but its a bit unsafe as soon as a bit of chop comes up. Hoping this boat will be a bit better. Thanks.

shrew

Lieutenant
Wellcraft made a model line called Excel. The Excel line ranged from bow riders, to walkarounds to express cruisers. The Excel 175 was a 17 foot bow rider.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Wasn’t aware that any other brand made the same hull as a cvx16

Buckey

Cadet
Wellcraft made a model line called Excel. The Excel line ranged from bow riders, to walkarounds to express cruisers. The Excel 175 was a 17 foot bow rider.
Thanks for your reply. I took a look through some of the Wellcraft boats and don't see anything that resembles the one I'm looking at. I'm sure I read Excel 175 on the boat. And it looks almost exactly like the CVX16 except for the scoop down the middle of the middle ahead of the windshield.

Buckey

Cadet
I'm going out there on the weekend, I'll grab a picture of it. Vanguard also made 'Phantom' that I think was the same hull as the CVX16, but then again they might look the same but are not exact.

jbcurt00

Staff member
It was common in the 50s, 60s & 70s to buy a popular hull and splash a mold off.of it and start making similar (same?¿?) boats with or to make slight changes and make 'your' boats outta your garage/warehouse/ship yard. 1 of the reasons there were so many 1 and done or limited production run companies that came and went quickly.....

Glastron was a popular boat to splash a mold off of. IIRC Redfish boats were splashed off late 50s early 60s Glastrons.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It was common in the 50s, 60s & 70s to buy a popular hull and splash a mold off.of it and start making similar (same?¿?) boats with or to make slight changes and make 'your' boats outta your garage/warehouse/ship yard. 1 of the reasons there were so many 1 and done or limited production run companies that came and went quickly.....

Glastron was a popular boat to splash a mold off of. IIRC Redfish boats were splashed off late 50s early 60s Glastrons.
Amazing. I have a U.K. built cvx16 Roger Clark though. Thought I knew a bit about them. Not sure I’ve heard of this though.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I'm going out there on the weekend, I'll grab a picture of it. Vanguard also made 'Phantom' that I think was the same hull as the CVX16, but then again they might look the same but are not exact.
Would love to see it. Brilliant.

Buckey

Cadet
Amazing. I have a U.K. built cvx16 Roger Clark though. Thought I knew a bit about them. Not sure I’ve heard of this though.
I have a Vanguard Banshee and I believe its a copy of the Glastron GT150 with a few minor differences. And I just saw today an Anchor Charger ski boat that looks exactly like mine.

Buckey

Cadet
While I have your attention :), I run a 1980 75 Evinrude on the Banshee, and I was hoping I could use this motor if I get this other boat. My Banshee does 42mph with a 17 pitch prop now, anyone know of someone that runs a 70/75 on a CVX 16? I'm curious if I'd be under powered.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
While I have your attention :), I run a 1980 75 Evinrude on the Banshee, and I was hoping I could use this motor if I get this other boat. My Banshee does 42mph with a 17 pitch prop now, anyone know of someone that runs a 70/75 on a CVX 16? I'm curious if I'd be under powered.
Be the smallest engine I’ve heard of on a cvx16 to be honest. Usually 115-125hp for USA built hulls and 115-140hp for U.K. rare Roger Clark models. Usually a v4 2 stroke was standard fit. A few guys have uprated the transom on them in us and running 150-200hp V6 2/ and will see late 60’s and into the 70’s with a jack plate. I have a 150 V6 merc on mine. Not tested yet. But I know they get to be a handful over early 60’s.

Buckey

Cadet
Be the smallest engine I’ve heard of on a cvx16 to be honest. Usually 115-125hp for USA built hulls and 115-140hp for U.K. rare Roger Clark models. Usually a v4 2 stroke was standard fit. A few guys have uprated the transom on them in us and running 150-200hp V6 2/ and will see late 60’s and into the 70’s with a jack plate. I have a 150 V6 merc on mine. Not tested yet. But I know they get to be a handful over early 60’s.
Thanks, thats kinda what I thought, its mainly what you see when looking at these boats., The boat has a 115 Mariner on it now, but I was electing to just buy the boat itself as I wouldn't really know what I'm getting into with the motor. The one downside to the boat is that is does have a break in the transom but I've repaired those before. I think it might actually be from not having a transom saver with some of the roads around here. The Banshee is 625lbs and the CVX16 I think is 700, so with the 75 I'm thinking I might hopefully be able to get 35-36 WOT with a cruising speed at maybe 30-32 or so. I guess we'll find out next summer :)

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks, thats kinda what I thought, its mainly what you see when looking at these boats., The boat has a 115 Mariner on it now, but I was electing to just buy the boat itself as I wouldn't really know what I'm getting into with the motor. The one downside to the boat is that is does have a break in the transom but I've repaired those before. I think it might actually be from not having a transom saver with some of the roads around here. The Banshee is 625lbs and the CVX16 I think is 700, so with the 75 I'm thinking I might hopefully be able to get 35-36 WOT with a cruising speed at maybe 30-32 or so. I guess we'll find out next summer :)
I’m sure she will manage that at least. Very fast hulls.

Buckey

Cadet
GBoat1.jpeg

Heres a pic of that boat, I can't find any info on it at all. It appears to read 170 XLT on it, and I believe its an Excel.

Alumarine

Captain
I believe there was a manufacturer of Vanguard and Excel boats in Manitoba, Canada.
I'm guessing 70's-80's?

Buckey

Cadet
I believe there was a manufacturer of Vanguard and Excel boats in Manitoba, Canada.
I'm guessing 70's-80's?
Thanks, I know Vanguard made the 'Phantom' that looked quite a bit like this one. I haven't had a chance to get back out there to take a closer look, I'll be doing that tomorrow. I'll check to see exactly what the serial number tag says. I'd like to learn a bit more about it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thanks, I know Vanguard made the 'Phantom' that looked quite a bit like this one. I haven't had a chance to get back out there to take a closer look, I'll be doing that tomorrow. I'll check to see exactly what the serial number tag says. I'd like to learn a bit more about it.
Look for a HIN tag on the transom, thats a post 1972 boat, so it should have a HIN tag for year and maker.

Any ser# tag might have model & maker, but not a year

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
View attachment 328111

Heres a pic of that boat, I can't find any info on it at all. It appears to read 170 XLT on it, and I believe its an Excel.
Amazing. Yeah. Sure looks like a cvx16 for sure. Does it have a pad at the rear centre of the hull ? This is my Roger Clark extremely rare ‘84 Cvx16

Attachments

• C9CF879F-4C0F-4263-B0A1-050D0E6A50C3.png
    C9CF879F-4C0F-4263-B0A1-050D0E6A50C3.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

Buckey

Cadet
Hi, it turns out that its a Deltacraft 170XLT, 1982. Couldn't find the serial number pad though. The graphics are decals over silver metal flake and the hull is white and in really nice shape. The clear coat is deteriorated, but there might be enough there to wet sand and buff, and worst case maybe re-clear. Floor is solid and the seats will need to be rebuilt. Transom needs a bit of attention on the sides, but I think those stress cracks are from trailering with no transom saver.

Buckey

Cadet

I found this article on testing the 70/75 on a CVX, I'm pleased to hear that the performance is quite good on all areas.

Attachments

• 75_OnCVX1.jpg
    75_OnCVX1.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 75_OnCVX2.jpg
    75_OnCVX2.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 75_OnCVX3.jpg
    75_OnCVX3.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 3