another tilt /trim ?

jimhen

Seaman Apprentice
I have n '86 mercury 120. The trim motor was dead this spring after two years in storage, but I found very helpful advice earlier on another thread. I pulled the moter, cleaned it up and now it is working like a champ.
Problem though is now the trim up is not working. All the other functions are ok... it only will come up with the tilt button though. Any ideas?

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: another tilt /trim ?

It sounds like the trim limit switch or wiring. The trim up switch is connected in series with the trim limit switch on the gimbal, if the limit switch goes bad (or the wiring between the trim switch and the limit switch), then the trim up switch won't work. The limit switch can get water inside or the wires can break going to the trim switch. How reasonable are you with a multimeter? the circuit is fairly simple if you can use a multimeter. First try finding the two wires that come from the limit switch and pass through the transom. They will have some bullet connectors where they join the wires from the trim switch. If you can find these wires, unplug them and then measure the resistance between the two wires going to the limit switch with the outboard lowered. There should be almost no resistance between the two wires (switch is closed). If you have a high resistance then the wires or limit switch is bad. You will have to follow the wires and find out where the fault is. If you do have low resistance between the two wires then your fault is with the trim switch or the positive supply to the trim switch. But I would be pretty sure it's the limit switch.

Gary

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What an amazing thing the Mercruiser OEM service manual is. It give detailed instructions on how to test and find what your problem is.
Here is a link to that manual.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

Section 1C should answer your questions in detail.

jimhen

Seaman Apprentice

thanks Gary and Don that should get me going