Another omc tilt question

I have searched and searched but I'm hoping you can answer my question specifically. I have and 1983 OMC Stern drive. It will not tilt up or down I replaced the cell annoys because I found one of them was cracked. I tested the tilt motor, By bypassing the shell annoyance and learned to the motor was not responsive, So I pulled the motor and bench tested it to confirm and have ordered a New one in the meantime I attempted to raise and lower the out drive after greasing Trunnion And was unable to lift or raise the outboard I removed the clutch pack cleaned it and the clutch housing put new Lubricant and re installed snap rings both looked good Still can not raise or lower the out drive when the worm gear is when the clutch pack is installed with no worm gear it roles perfectly. Pulled the worm gear replaced it with a new shaft still no movement when fully assembled. I met my wits and please help

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard

second, some of your text doesnt make sense

is this a stringer 400 or stringer 800

how did you get the clutch-pack re-assembled, be specific

did you replace the tilt motor, yes or no. if no, did you pull it apart to clean the armature and brushes? yes or no

1st thank you for the welcome! I just reread my post and must apologize... i was frustrated and my wife was talking to me while i typed.
it is a stringer 400, i removed the clutch pack and worm drive, cleaned it with break cleaner, soaked it in oil and replaced.. i did not disasemble clutch pack, i did however repace the worm drive shaft with a new one. I have purchased a new tilt motor and am waiting for it to arrive. With the clutch pack installed without wormdrive i can lift the lower easily. When i install the worm drive (without tilt motor since it has not arrived) i can not physically move the lower. I have checked the roll pins in the worm drive to make sure they did not protrude into the threads, used new gear oil and greased the trunions. I did not even think to clean out the tilt motor, just ordered a new one. Thanks in advance for your help... first boat only had it in water once, then all this and other stuff the forums already helped me fix through the search
1983 sea sprite continental mk1

kenny nunez

Captain
The drive is not going to be able to be manually lifted when the tilt clutch is assembled properly.
When the tilt motor arrives and before you install it be sure that the hammer blow coupling has a plastic washer under it and one is on the tilt motor.
Have you checked that there is 12 volts on the buss bar that is between the 2 solenoids?

Thanks that is very reassuring... i do have 12v on the bar between solenoids. I did not see any washers on the hammer coupling or tilt motor when i removed them. I will fish around and see if i missed or dropped them but just in case should i just order new ones.. if so do you know the size or specs? I know i need to buy a manual but i would like to get this water ready before winterizing, overnight temps are already dropping into the high 40s here.

kenny nunez

Captain
Never remove the worm shaft while the tilt motor is mounted. The washer will fall and bind up the coupling.

Just an update, thank you for your help, the tilt is working! Got it on the water, but it over heated. So i greased the zerk fitting in front of the lower in case it was an exhaust issue. As the water line in from the impeller was hot.
Trim still does not work, cant find the 50amp fuse for it... does anyone have a picture?