anchor light??

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Checking out all the systems on my New 1983 Mariner 28, got all the lights functioning proper except the anchor light! prob is I cant find one? was there a seperate 360 deg anchor light on this vessile? or are the forward and aft 180 deg white suposed to function as the anchor light? If anyone has one of similar year i'd sure like to know how yours is set up! thanks

pole position

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: anchor light??

My 1987 Voyager is on the right on the flybridge. Switch is on dash; nav/anchor light.

Jobless Recovery

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Our 1990 Santego did NOT have a 360 degree anchor light either. And NO, th bow and stern running lights do not count for the anchor light. We had to install a separate 360 degree anchor light that sits very high so that it's visible from 360 degrees around - no sure why Carver didn't cover this but I did confirm with US power squadron that a separate anchor light is required when anchored at night. :redface:

chriscraft254

Commander

If you have two 180 degree white lights, one forward and one aft,yes they can act as a anchor light. But they still have to be switched so the running bow lights are not on while anchored.

Jobless Recovery

Petty Officer 3rd Class

@ Chriscraft:

I don't understand. In your last sentence you state that the bow light should not be on while anchored. If the lighting is configured with 180 degree light on the bow and another 180 degree light on the stern how can you have a 360 degree anchor light if your switch of the bow light?? Am I missing something?

chriscraft254

Commander

@ Chriscraft:

I don't understand. In your last sentence you state that the bow light should not be on while anchored. If the lighting is configured with 180 degree light on the bow and another 180 degree light on the stern how can you have a 360 degree anchor light if your switch of the bow light?? Am I missing something?

Read what I wrote again. I said if you have "two" 180 degree "white lights".

Some larger vessels I have seen will have a stern white light and another 180 degree white light mounted forward of the cabin, usually up high. Usually wired so when running lights are switched to anchor lights, the bow running lights go off and the second 180 degree white light lights up with the other 180 degree white light to give you 360 degrees.

In other words, one 180 degree white light forward and the other white light shining towards the stern.

Have not seen many set-up this way, and really don't like the set-up. I have only seen this on open cruisers with no hard top structure to enable a good 360 degree all around light..

Tommyfmu

Seaman

...but I did confirm with US power squadron that a separate anchor light is required when anchored at night. :redface:

Only if not in a designated anchorage area. Basically by the look of your salon cabin cruiser and knowing Carvers config, your nav/anchor light switch (which is either/or), should work like this: nav=red/green/back white on. anchor=mid white 360deg only.