aluminum riveted boat ?

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer
i am lookin at a 12 foot v bottom boat its looks to be in good shape but i am not sure about riveted boats are they durable? it has a 9.5 evinrude on the back of the boat.i dont see any bad rivets but do they have a tendency to leak?also is there anything to coat the inside with to kill the sound and maybe make it more water tight ?

22WRF

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: aluminum riveted boat ?

Riveted boats have less problems than all welded ones.<br />Rivets have some give and flex, but a welded one if stressed will give you a cracked weld.<br /><br />A loose or weeping rivet is something you can tighten up yourself. ( Better than paying a TIG welder to do it.<br /><br />If want to deaden the sound glue some marine carpet to the floor or make some wooden floor boards

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Nothing wrong with rivited boats at all.. I've had a few.. They sometimes do develope leaks around the rivits, but it's easily fixed.. <br /><br /> A few here have suggested liquid truck bed liner as a sealer/sound deadner...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I've popped a few rivets, or rather wore the heads off them where they rubbed on the trailer.<br />The boat is 55+ years old so cosmetics are not an issue. Just screwed a sheet metal screw in the hole. Somewhere there is a slow leak, about a cup in ten hours on the water. I spill more coffee and minnow water in the boat than that.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Wayne<br />I have two aluminum boats one has rivets and it leaks all over. Yes you can tighten rivets and seal the leaks if you can get to both sides. Problem is many under seates or places can not get to. To tighten need to be able to get to both sides. Will it sink while out fishing, no but on a cold foggy or overcast day with no sun if do not run the bildge pump will have it inch of water in it. If you left it in the water it would sink in a week if bildge pump failed. There are some high quality riveted boats out there. Starcraft and lund are very good but still lots of rivets to fail or leak and they cause drag and air bubbles so many times have trouble getting transducer to work at higher speeds.<br /><br />Other 1980 aluminum boat all welded and has never leaked a drop of water. Only time I have used bildge pump at all is when cleaning bildge with soap and water. I will never buy another riveted boat. The way the welded boat is made I do not belive it would leak if they forgot to weld. Crestliner Welded boats have a 20 year hull warranty.<br /><br />Both of my boats have lots of hours on them but I would go with the Welded any day.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

hummm just when i thought riveted boats where ok lol.here is the deal i can get a 12 foot boat motor (evinrude 9.5) and trailer for 600$ its a nice little fishing boat thats light and very easy to handle alone (unlike my fiberglass boat)the boat seems to be in great shape all the rivets seem tight and there if still that rubber between the overlapped riveted alumimun. i dont know the brand the title says aero but i cant find anything on the net about it.the motor runs but needs minor repairs water pump from sitting recoil is almost ***** out fuel lines things like that.

JerseyJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there is a quick way to check to see if it leaks: fill it with water.<br /><br />My fishing buddy and family friend kept his 86 21' CC starcraft next to mine for 10 years. I fished many many years on that boat, and him on mine. Never EVER did it leak a drop. It was rivetted. He never popped a rivet, either.<br /><br />beleive me this boat got the crap kicked out of it and came back for more. I would certainly buy a rivetted boat. If the boat is in good condition, how bad could it be???

D

DJ

Don't let anyone scare you away from riveted aluminum boats. I've owned, still do, more of them than I can count.<br /><br />There is nothing wrong with welded boats either. By the way, when is the last time you were on a welded aluminum airplane?<br /> :D ;) <br /><br />Any leaks that develop are easily repaired.<br /><br />If you decide to buy it and you discover any small leaks, just treat them with "Gluv It", available at: www.westmarine.com

dolsen

Seaman Apprentice

Welded boats are far superior than rivets, thats not to say they are not good boats. But the waters we run here in the NW would tear up thin skinned riveted boats. As far as flexing and cracked welds is just not true in the quality jet boats we build here. Real Aluminum Boats I used to own a smokercraft lodge that squeeked me into selling due to the noise and rough ride. And it dented easily. Welded boats hold there value much better also, but quality has a price too. As far as welded aircraft, that is not possible due to excessive weight and lack of expansion at altitude, nice try though. :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

My handle came from my 12Footer, which is a 1953 Lonestar Sportster with a 7.5HP Merc. The boat has been in the family for as long as I have (well, I was 1 year old). It is a rivetted boat.<br />It weeps a little, but this boat has been thru HELL. It was stolen, sunk and the bow heavily damaged by the mutants who stole it.<br />Are rivetted boats any good? You don't have enough money to buy mine.<br />But I got an old Bayliner I'll sell real cheap :D

D

DJ

NR boater,<br /><br />I get the idea you are taking a shot at me for the airplane crack. <br /><br />Welded boats are what they are and so are riveted jobs.<br /><br />I don't think this guy is looking for a boat that will run over rocks at 50 mph. You guys could wreck an anvil operating those boats the way they are.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It depends on the boat. I have 43 year old riveted boat that is watertight. My 16 year old Starcraft would sink in about 10 hours if the bilge pump failed. <br /><br />The thick welded boats are fine for rocky rivers in the NorthWest, but not necessary in normal waters.<br /><br />I like riveted boats. They are lightweight, durable, and affordable. Just be sure you take it out of the water when not using it.

dolsen

Seaman Apprentice

I get the idea you are taking a shot at me for the airplane crack.
No sir, not at all. I just resoonded to a joke with a joke. Riveted boats have their place. I was responding to LCM-8 on welds cracking. If he believes this ,he should call NRboats and ask whether their welds crack. With all due respect djohns19 a welded airplane would require more hp than allowed by weight, especially now with new weight requirements if all seams were welded, a far cry from a boat.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

My riveted boats is made of heavier guage aluminum, has more reinforcing, and has protruding hull strakes that enable it to turn on a dime. My welded boat is far lower in quality, handles poorly, and is showing stress marks on the hull from hitting the waves.

dolsen

Seaman Apprentice

Roscoe,I would be curious as to what kind of boats you have. The ocean going aluminum crafts, such as crabbers and skiffs we have here are all welded, because riveteted boats of that size would not hold up . Obviously some of you are not familiar to the NW styles of boats,such as Duckworths, Wooldridges, Alumawelds and so on. Like i said earlier my Smokercraft Lodge was beaten loose and rattled by the Columbia river. Great lake boat but not built tough enough to fish three guys on a choppy day. Im not knocking riveted boats they are built very well and fairly inexpensive. Whatever works for you. My dream boat

22WRF

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NR boater<br /><br />My experience with welded boats runs AL boats run to USN LCM-8's (74') Welded AL 6062-T Hulls Twin GM 871-T's <br />Rivet Hulls on T-3 Tankers 553' 24,000 gross tons.

dolsen

Seaman Apprentice

Does that thing have pole holders? :D Wasent the Titanic riveted? ;)

22WRF

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No rod holders but I sailed on a 180 USCG Buoy Tender that had a fighting chair on the fantail :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

dolsen

Seaman Apprentice

Thats how i like my tax money spent! USCG were you ever stationed in the Northwest?

22WRF

Petty Officer 2nd Class

About the only place I wasn't.<br />California, Alaska and Hawaii though