Alpha 1 Gen 1 Lower Shift Cable Lash Specs?

JimEd B

Seaman
Can anyone point me to the Lash Specs for the upper and lower shift cables on an Alpha 1 Gen 1? How much should the cable travel?

My Equipment:

I've got a pre-alpha transom bracket, with the transom mounted shift assembly and old spring / lever style shift interrupt behind a 3.0 LX motor. I've got a newer sterndrive engineering drive hanging off the back.

My Issues:

I've had some issues with shifting last year or so, so we're upgrading the shift plate. The shift cable mounting points are bent, and the old style interrupt is spotty. I'm done messing with it.

I'll be changing out the rocker cover to the stamped metal version, and adding the "electrical and shift" bracket they used on the 2000's TKS models to support the new plunger style shift plate assembly on the starboard side of the motor.

More Details:

Boat is on a trailer.

I replaced the lower shift cable 2 years ago, so it is fairly new. I've noticed there is quite a bit of travel in the cable as I was disassembling, close to an inch and a quarter. Reverse only engages with the cable pulled as far out as it will go. I reached under the drive and manually moved the shift lever while rotating prop (cable not attached to shift plate so it moved freely). Drive appears to be fine. It's only been in use for about 1 season.

I saw one youtube video, that suggested that maximum travel on lower shift cable was less than an inch. But the fellow had a british accent and the video is 12 years old, not sure the unit conversion was accurate etc.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
It's not so much how much it moves, is does it move the right amount. There is a procedure in Manual 6 which coves, and would post some pages server at iBoats is not allowing right now

Installing Shift Cables
1. Push in on drive unit shift cable while simultaneously
turning propeller shaft counterclockwise
until shaft stops, to ensure drive unit is completely
in gear. Maintain pressure on propeller shaft
with a suitable device (elastic strap).
2. Measure distance between center of hole in shift
cable end guide and center of brass barrel. Measurement
should be 6 in. (153 mm).

3. If equipped with shift assist assembly: Once
brass barrel adjustment is correct, install end
guide “stop clip” on threaded tube. Position as
shown, with tang touching brass barrel.

4. Install drive unit shift cable as shown. Secure
brass barrel in barrel retainer with cotter pin and
spread both prongs. Secure cable end guide with
washers (one on each side of end guide) and
locknut. Tighten locknut until it bottoms out, then
back off 1/4-1/2 turn.

5. Ensure shift lever adjustable stud is at bottom of
slot. If necessary, loosen stud and move it to bottom
of slot, then retighten stud.

7. Place drive unit into gear by pushing in on drive
unit shift cable, while simultaneously rotating propeller
shaft counterclockwise until shaft stops, to
ensure full clutch engagement. Maintain a light
pressure on the drive unit shift cable to hold it at
the end of its travel (this removes all slack from
the cable).
IMPORTANT: Do not use excessive force when
holding pressure on the drive unit shift cable. Excessive
force would be indicated by movement
of the shift cutout switch.

8. Lightly pull on remote control shift cable end
guide (to remove slack from remote control and
cable) and adjust brass barrel as necessary to
align attaching points with shift lever clevis pin
hole and stud. Be sure to maintain light pressure
on drive unit shift cable.
a - End Guide
b - Brass Barrel
c - Shift Lever Clevis Pin Hole
d - Stud
9. After cable has been aligned, turn brass barrel 4
turns away from cable end guide.

Then check if drive works

JimEd B

Seaman
Roger, I found those instructions in an older post, along with the .pdf. I appreciate it.

Was more wondering if there was a quick way to measure to determine if the cable was stretched or not. It's the middle of salmon season here, and hoping to get the boat back in the water ASAP so I can fill that freezer up (and justify owning this boat, hahaha.)

Would rather verify the problem before I start throwing parts at it if possible. As my existing shift plate is damaged, and additional parts are in the mail, I won't be able to test all of that until the bracket and rocker cover and new shift plate get delivered / installed.

alldodge

Staff member
If your unable to shift the drive on dry land per the manual, then either adjustment is not being done correctly or the lower shift cable is the issue