Almost there

SHE RUNS......YAY for us....
The only prob I have is that the starter is turning while the engine is running.... It's not ingaged to the flywheel either... It's just free spinning.. If I put my finger on the nut I can stop it but the minute I let it go she starts spinning again. What gives? It's brand new starter too...
Thanks again for all your help in this rebuild... My son thanks you greatly for the Saturday boating we got planned now.....
Thanks a million guys. Couldn't of done this without all ur help...

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Almost there

Good to hear the motor is running!

We need to find out where the power is coming from. You will need a multi meter set to Volts DC.

Test 1

With the battery connected and the ignition switch turned to the "ON" position (Not turned all the way as if trying to engage the starter). Place the positive probe of the meter on “C” and the negative probe on “D”. This will test to see if there is any current coming from the ignition switch. There should not be any unless you turn the key all the way to the start position. You could also get someone to turn the key from “OFF” to “ON” and back a couple of times to see if this causes a current(Not turned all the way as if trying to engage the starter) .
solenoid Test11.jpg

Test 2

Battery connected but you don’t need the ignition switch on. Disconnect the yellow wire “C” from the solenoid. Wrap the end of the yellow wire to prevent any chance of a short. Place the positive probe on the positive out wire out to the starter “B” and the negative probe on – switch wire “D”. Again you should not have any current. If you get current in this situation the solenoid is corroded or stuck. It will need replacing.

Test  2.jpg

My solinoid as a reference.
Solenoid photo.jpg

If this does not make sense let me know.

Let us know how you go.

Good Luck

Jiggz

Captain

With engine stopped, and turning the key to ignition position without starting, does the starter spins? If so the switch needs troubleshooting. Are you talking about stater spinning like it is fully energized like when you are starting or just slow spinning? could it be possible that you miswired the rectifier directly starter ckt? Pics showing starter wiring and also the rectifier wiring will help a lot.

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jiggz I think you have picked it. Positive wire from the rectifier on the wrong post of the solenoid. Sending power to the starter when the motor is ruining. Not back to the battery to charge it.

Didn't think of that. Fits the symptoms perfectly and also easy to fix.