Aftermarket 4.3 Exhaust and PS Line Break

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I found after last weekend's outing (the first in over a month) that I had a little PS fluid coming out the bilge drain hole. The bottom half of the PS fluid cooler was wet and I thought the hose there or the fitting it was attached to might just need tightening.

Didn't get to it until this morning before going out again, and after pulling the seat and that to get a better look, as well as check the cooler plug, I found it was coming from a crack in the pressure hose that was at the back of the new (last summer) turndown part of the exhaust. It was a slow but steady drip at 1,000rpm and I didn't want to take that out.

The short piece of hose had a flare fitting on one end and was clamped at the other end to a barb fitting in the cooler, so I tried Napa to see if they had something that matched the flared end. All they had was stuff that used O-rings. Went to Auto Zone and same story, but they had some straight steel tubing with flared ends and fittings. I got a piece of that, 3' of 3/8" hose, and just used one end of the straight flared tube (instead of bending it right behind the exhaust again), and used part of the hose to route it up and behind the exhaust to the cooler. Seemed to work fine. It didn't leak during a quick check running on the water hose, but I haven't checked it after today's outing yet.

I knew those two hoses that go into the (steering apparatus in the back) were close to the new exhaust and I'd put some cardboard between them and it when I installed it, but it was still too tight I guess, and what with vibration, etc., finally failed the hose.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I noticed that the hose was close on mine but not quite rubbing, the Volvo parts I used fit really well....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the lines going to the cooler are low pressure return lines , what you did will work just fine