Advice On Stringer/Transom Repair

rkX4TR

Recruit
Hi, I am going to be replacing my stringers and transom. I am new to this so just feel like I need some advice. The boat originally had 3 stringers, and no horizontal supports running in between the stringers. I'm wondering if I should repair it to what it was before or add in extra bracing.

The transom is inch and a half thick and I'm going to be replacing it from the inside.

I plan to use marine grade plywood for the transom and stringers. For the epoxy and fiberglass I was going to use 7.5 ounce E glass, and the 3:1 635 epoxy from US Composites.

Basically what I've seen is most people recommend 5 layers of glass for anything structural.

Thanks for any help in advance

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
As long as you don't go overboard (pun intended) and add a bunch of extra weight, there is not a problem with adding bulkheads between stringers. Many of us who have restored our boats went a bit further than the manufacturers in building in extra strength.

I can't help you with the epoxy question; I used polyester resin, CSM and 1708 primarily, since that is what my boat was built with.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with JASinII with cross supports
Read up on the epoxy resin as to cure times and when recoating can be done. I really like epoxy because it's stronger, but the issue is applying additional coats must be done within a given time frame. If it gets to far past that (24 or so hours) some need surface roughed up prior

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
go to the 3rd sticky down at the top of the forums. read links 14, 15, 18, 19, then the others.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Marine plywood is nice and dense but it rots just as fast as any other plywood. The best material for a transom is probably cedar plywood. It does not rot like other plywoods. Starcraft used it on their boats and left it unpainted. You can usually get it in 1/2 inch boards so you would have to glue 3 boards together.
Don't forget to properly impregnate and seal the transom boards before gluing them together.

Last edited: