Absent Drain Tube

Beakster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, On my boat there are 2 drain holes.

One in the splashwell, which is a 1 inch hole through the transom and seemed to be simply a silicon coating over the wooden transom. I pulled the silicon out and the wood is a little soft.

One at the bottom of the transom where the drain plug screws in. This one appears to also be a simple hole in the wood, but with one of these screwed in: https://www.amazon.ca/Shoreline-Mar...eywords=boat+drain+plug&qid=1683570843&sr=8-5

Both approaches feel wrong to me as the bare wooden transom is exposed to the water. Was this standard practise back in the day? (the boat is from 1980).

As I'm doing some work on the boat now I assume it's advisable to add a flaired brass train tube in both locations and seal them in place with sikaflex? For the drain plug at the bottom would I then screw the garboard brass plug receiptcal over the drain tube? Or just use a rubber screw in type plug?

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Brass tube on top is the way to go with some good sealant like 3M 4000

The drain plug needs to be sealed with good resin so if some water is present its not against bare wood

Beakster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Brass tube on top is the way to go with some good sealant like 3M 4000

The drain plug needs to be sealed with good resin so if some water is present its not against bare wood
why the difference between motorwell drain and bottom drain plug? Isn't a sealed tube better than resin treating the wood?