A couple transom questions

Simplysix

Cadet
Hello all,
im getting ready to begin replacing the transom on my 19’ 1987 Bayliner Capri w/ 125 OB. I’ve have done countless searches and reading on the forum, google, and YouTube. I plan on not removing the whole cap. I do have a questions about where the transomm is on this model. In some photos it looks like it’s only center, and other it looks like it runs the how width? Is it only between the thinner lines (splashwell) or closer to the thicker lines? Thank you

Attachments

• D1F05B4A-8AA0-4286-918A-E125FF12BCF5.jpeg
    D1F05B4A-8AA0-4286-918A-E125FF12BCF5.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yes!!! Both Center and Sides. Sides are needed to support swim deck and tow eyes.
Might be an issue replacing transom under that splashwell. Good Luck

jbcurt00

Staff member
Transon replacement w out taking the cap off?
How?
From the outside?

Simplysix

Cadet
Thanks for the answers guys. This is where my confusion comes in. I’ve seen people do Capris like this (see picture). So are they only doing the center section and only removing the cap at the splashwell? Is that a viable option or is it more of a band-aid?

Attachments

• 45DD4BD5-8371-46A7-8CB5-277B427AB394.jpeg
    45DD4BD5-8371-46A7-8CB5-277B427AB394.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I always like to pull the entire cap. I found it to be less work in the long run.

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think you'd have to at least cut the rear foot or so in length of the cap off to expose the inside working area, then later just patch that part of the top cap up when it's back on.

Are you sure the stringers are in tact?

Simplysix

Cadet
This is why I’m confused. Here is a screen shot from another thread on iboats. He is working on the same make/model as me.

Attachments

• 0BF70BFB-F034-4448-8586-34DABCA40E45.png
    0BF70BFB-F034-4448-8586-34DABCA40E45.png
    430 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The transom is on the most important structural elements of your boat. Especially since it's and Outboard. Replacing only the center section is doable but...It must be done in such a way that it's integrated with the sides as well. There are tremendous forces placed on the transom and NO FLEX can occur. There are no really good SHORTCUTS when it comes to replacing structural parts of a boat. Some people , like the one you posted, have done them, but that doesn't mean it was the best possible solution. This forum exists to offer the most recommended methods of restoration. Best meaning SAFE!!! Experience IS the best teacher. Replacing the transom in it's entirety IS the BEST and recommended method.

Simplysix

Cadet
Thanks everyone, especially woodonglass. I’m not trying to shortcut repairs or built an unsafe boat. But I was having trouble getting my head wrapped around the conflicting information I was seeing. I think the next move is to pull the rear off the cap off and decide if I want to take the entire transom, or just scrap the boat and put the motor on something else

KJM

Lieutenant
i'd do the whole transom across ways as high as the motor mounts, or higher if i could easily remove the old one without touching the outer layer of fiberglass. then i would replace it with a composite fiberglass board, in layers with fiberglass in between. i did two llayers of board for a 35 ob on a 16 ft boat. at least then you know it will never need doing again and that composite is very strong. can't remember the name of the composite, but it was black and you could see fiber glass strands running thru it. it was about $200 an sheet 4x8 but worth it. on my current boat i was low on money(and fearful of the wifes wrath!) so i used regular plywood and have been regretting it ever since as i know i will have to revisit it again some time! i left the cap on as its not adding to the strength, esp with the splash well. if anything fails, that will.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Thoughts of an Old Dumb Okie!

A plywood transom, properly glassed and installed will last for decades, IF you properly maintain and care for the boat. Composites are expensive and the cost/benefit ratio is NOT that great unless you plan on keep the boat for more than 20 years.