97 Sunbird Spirit 150 Hull Repair

Rob406

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, two part question. I have a 97 Sunbird Spirit 150 bowrider, fiberglass hull.

First, my steering linkage at full turn hits the hull and has worn a depression into the fiberglass. Pretty significant but not worn thru. I want to repair and then cover with a stainless guard. What is the best way to do this? Area is approx 1” x 2” depression.

Secondly, I would like some extra hardware alongside the hull to tie fenders to. Can i simply screw directly into the hull or is there something I am missing here?

todhunter

Canoeist
Not sure on the first question, though I'd probably want to check and make sure steering isn't out of adjustment before adding a guard.

For the second question, if all you're going to do is tie fenders...sure. But you know if you put a cleat there, it'll eventually get used for tying up the boat. In that case, best practice would be to put a backer of some kind (plywood w/fiberglass or aluminum plate) to distribute the load the cleat will put on the hull.

Rob406

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure on the first question, though I'd probably want to check and make sure steering isn't out of adjustment before adding a guard.

For the second question, if all you're going to do is tie fenders...sure. But you know if you put a cleat there, it'll eventually get used for tying up the boat. In that case, best practice would be to put a backer of some kind (plywood w/fiberglass or aluminum plate) to distribute the load the cleat will put on the hull.
Thanks Todhunter. The hull is enclosed so I have no way of getting in there for a backer. I guess I will keep my eyes open and see what other suggestions arise