96 Mercury 350 will lose rpms , sputter,stall.. only to be restarted at a later time

mikethepike

Seaman Apprentice
On a recent trip , while on plane (3300 rpm's) trip my starboard engine lost rpms, sputtered and finally stalled about 18 miles into a 30 miles trip . I tried restarting it...but only smelled gas, so i let it be for 1/2 an hour and it restarted when i got 5 miles from my destination. I didnt find anything out of the ordinary and finding a mechanic on the wknd was impossible.

On the way back the same thing happened, i was on plane for 15 miles and the same engine sputtered, and finally died. It did restart after approximently 40 minutes and i just cruised in @ 2000 rpms back to the dock without any further problems. Normal 140-160 temp , oil and voltage all in regular perameters

Any thoughts?:facepalm:

1996 Mercurys with 500 hours

zx9rstv

Seaman
Re: 96 Mercury 350 will lose rpms , sputter,stall.. only to be restarted at a later t

Sounds maybe your coil is getting too hot and killing spark. You should do a ignition system diagnosis as described in the adult section.

mikethepike

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 96 Mercury 350 will lose rpms , sputter,stall.. only to be restarted at a later t

That sounds like it may be my culpret. From my understanding they are filled with oil and when it cant disapate the heat it will act erratic...ie kill the spark .

I looked in the adult section ...what # are you referring too?

Thanks for the fast response

zx9rstv

Seaman

Bondo

Staff member

1996 Mercurys with 500 hours

Ayuh,... Got a serial #,..??

Carbed or Efi,..??

mikethepike

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry dont ahve a serial number handy at the moment.
It is carburated

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... 2bbl. or 4bbl. carb,..??

zx9rstv

Seaman

any update? Have you had a chance to troubleshoot?

mikethepike

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... 2bbl. or 4bbl. carb,..??

Sorry, 4bbl. carb

Going down today to change the coil . Most everyone agrees this is the culprit

Heading back to Ohio ( SATURDAY) for a 30 mile trip...hopefully problem free!!! Boat U.S. has unlimited towing for $34.00...going to sign up for that as welll

mikethepike

Seaman Apprentice

Changed the coil in 5 minutes...ran to Maumee bay resort for the weekend at 30 mph each way for 30 miles with NO PROBLEMS!!!!!!!
Very happy too have this great forum around. Thanks Iboats!!!!