91 Waverunner Bilge water

My friend told me her 91 Waverunner 3 "has more water in the bilge than normal". I have it on a trailer now and I washed out the engine compartment so there is 3 inches of water in there and it doesn't drain. Been sitting 6 hours and the water is still there. Tried running engine a couple times but no difference. Is it normal for it not to drain when it's out of the water?

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 91 Waverunner Bilge water

I would be looking around the back of the ski in the area of the pump for a drail plug that needs to be removed to allow the water to get out, most pwc's have these and if for some reason it isn't equipped with one I would go to a boating supply store and get one and install it

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

Liek the other guy said there should be drain plugs on the back of the ski ( transom) really low right above the actual bottom of the ski. it could also be clogged up with crap inside ( leaves old washers and jsut dirt) so pull the plugs out and if it still wont drain stick a pipece of wire in the holes and see if there is some blockage. sometimes small pieces of styrofoam get lodged in there. there should be two plugs on either side f the pump

overthere

Cadet

I just ran into a problem with mine. There is an auotmatic bilge pump in these skis. Under the ride plate there is a check valve and the check valve went bad. The only thing is is that the check valve was stuck open not closed. Everytime i ran the ski would fill up with water. A way to check it is find the water hose running to the back of the ski under the seatunder the storage compartment. Kink the hose making sure it wont fall off with some rough rides. Check the water level in the hull. If dry i suggest replacing the entire bilge pump system with a stand bilge and float. Eliminate the old one and seal the hole.