90 Johnson runs great, then won't restart

ralphjg

Cadet
1990 johnson 90HP VRO last 3 times out starts and runs great. After riding for @10 - 15 min I stop and if I try to restart it won't. after tow and waiting @ 1Hr it starts and runs great again.<br />Thanks in advance. Safe Boating

TimW

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 90 Johnson runs great, then won't restart

Does it idle okay or die when you throttle down after 15min?

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

Fuel cap venting?<br />Mac

Walker

Captain

Please explain a little more. Does it crank and not start, no crank at all,

ralphjg

Cadet

It does crank but no start. it runs great, I can idle and stop it does not stall but when I shut off my self and restart soon after no go. I assume my vent is good when I filled tank a little spillage out the vent. Mostly happened after I was going at a good speed,

ralphjg

Cadet

one more thing. originally thought was water in fuel so I switched to external tank, emptied fuel, changed water seperator and put in some dry gas

baxman

Recruit

I had a similar problem with my '89,70hp johnson.It started and ran great for 10 min. then lost power. Thought it was fuel system problem. Two weekends ago it started idling rough the stall and would not restart. Did all checks and tests and eventually replaced the power pack. Running perfect ever since.<br /><br />Baxman

ralphjg

Cadet

I changed fuel filter,replaced some questionable fuel lines and clamps, ran some sea foam thru and deep creep. after it ran a lot better so I think the carb needs to be rebuilt. So as this would be my first time any gentle words of wisdom from the guru's who have gotten me this far would be welcome.<br />Clymer Manual (yes) carb repair kit (yes) desire (yes yes) This site rocks

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When it doesn't start check the basics, fuel, spark and compression. Check the FAQ's for a sequence to check. Something gives out when it's hot, you've got to find out what it is. Mine was ignition. One bad wire and a rusty magneto. If you suspect gas starvation, squirt some in the carbs and see if it fires.

agood1

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Ralphjg,<br /><br />Did you get this problem resolved....I also have a 90 model 90hp Johnson that is doing the exact same thing....<br />Maybe I can explain a little more.......<br />I put the boat in the water and it starts great...runs fine....can run for hours as long as I don't shut it off....but if I do...then it will not restart....I have let it sit for 2 hours or longer and it still would not restart...so I got towed in and back on the trailer....when I got home...I hooked the water ears to it and BAM....it started right up....very frustrating.....any more help or suggestions with this problem?<br />Thanks

mike481050

Cadet

Had a 1974 70Hp Evinrude with same problem. Used to have to wait over an hour for a restart. Spent lots of money trying to fix the problem. Now have 1997 60degree 90Hp Evinrude which occasionly does the same thing when moored in rough water. <br />My mechanic years ago advised me the 70hp problem was fuel vaporising when engine stopped. Solution Apply choke till engine fires. Then start as normal. Used to start and run after second or third go. <br />Same mechanic years later advises Problem with 90Hp is carbs losing fuel when moored in rough water with engine tilted up. Solution the same! Push key in for primer until engine fires then start as normal. Works every time!<br /><br />May not solve your problems but worth a try. If it works will save a lot of dollars and frustration.

agood1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info....but mine is not fuel related...I don't think...I think it is spark related...but don't know how to trouble shoot it...