'90 Johnson 200 HP low speed stall

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice
This engine runs perfectly above 1000 rpm with plenty of power to redline (5000). The problem is I can't keep it from stalling below 1000. Of course, this makes docking interesting to say the least. I'v checked gas and have even premixed incase the VRO is malfunctioning, but it still happens. I notice the temp gage is on the border of red/green when this happens. (it doesn't stall right away at 1000, but after a few minutes) New thermostats were installed this year. I was thinking of putting a small groove in the rubber plunger that rests on the seats to see if this would keep it cooler at low speed. Any ideas?<br />Regards<br />Nelson

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '90 Johnson 200 HP low speed stall

Welcome to the post. When was the last time you had the carbs rebuilt on this thing and when was the last water pump done? Your redline is way higher than 5000, you should be running closer to 6000 at WOT or your lugging that thing all the time. Do you have a water pressure gauge, if so what is it reading at idle?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> if all the carbs check out test the recirc valves. the procedure is in the manual. some are interesting to get to. does it cough and die or load up and slowly quit?

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by mmcpeck:<br /> Welcome to the post. When was the last time you had the carbs rebuilt on this thing and when was the last water pump done? Your redline is way higher than 5000, you should be running closer to 6000 at WOT or your lugging that thing all the time. Do you have a water pressure gauge, if so what is it reading at idle?

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by mmcpeck:<br /> Welcome to the post. When was the last time you had the carbs rebuilt on this thing and when was the last water pump done? Your redline is way higher than 5000, you should be running closer to 6000 at WOT or your lugging that thing all the time. Do you have a water pressure gauge, if so what is it reading at idle?
I bought the boat last year so I'm not sure about the waterpump or carbs. I was told redline was 5500rpm. I could find a gauge, but where do I measure pump pressure?<br />What is WOT?<br />Thanks

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> hello<br /> if all the carbs check out test the recirc valves. the procedure is in the manual. some are interesting to get to. does it cough and die or load up and slowly quit?
It more seems to missfire slightly and then just die. I haven't had the carbs checked out. I'll look into the recirc.<br />Thanks<br />Nelson

fireman57

Captain

WOT is wide open throttle. Sounds like your low speed jet is clogged. Buy a carb kit and rebuild. Doesn't take long. Make sure you get the jets perfectly clean. You might soak them and then clear them with compressed air. Should see a remarkable difference. How do you start this thing if it won't run under 1000rpms. That has to be interesting.

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, starting isn't instantaneous, but I<br />'ve got it down pretty good now. I usually add a little throttle out of gear during the starting.

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice

Just a final entry on this matter. I figured out that it had to be the vro fuel pump. Just bought one from the dealer for $279.00. Guess what--it runs like a new engine. I can even leave it in gear with the spring line on and it doesn't stall at 700 rpm. WOT is running 5500--It also starts now on the 2nd try!!!!<br />Thanks to all for all the suggestions.