90-140hp Repower- new leftovers-merc,Yamaha,OMC

jameservin

Seaman
Thinking of buying a new motor to replace my old (78)115 merc. <br />Think a 90 or 115 is all i need,but there's the question of brand.<br />Looking for "carryovers" to save some $.<br /><br />My first choice is a tohatsu or suzuki as have heard nothing but good about them. Just havent convinced myself to spend 10grand on one and leftovers (at a discount)seem non-existant. Havent found any used ones. <br /><br />Yamaha 2-stroke opinions seem to be very favorable. Havent heard of a "problem model" from them yet.<br /><br />Found a 125 merc 2003 leftover at under 6 grand.<br />I understand they quit selling this model in 06 line up and rather not buy a "less desirable" model (should i sell in the future,...). Maybe it was just an EPA rating thing(?). <br /><br />Never owned an OMC and dont know which brands/models are good/bad.<br /><br />Looking more for quality/dependable rather than performance.<br /><br />Any opinions please-better to ask before where I can get un-biased opinions.

jameservin

Seaman
Re: 90-140hp Repower- new leftovers-merc,Yamaha,OMC

JB,<br />Your like lightning fast! Were you watching me type that? WOW! Instant answer HA. HA.<br /><br />You know I did check that. Found local pricing more competative and no shipping though.<br />Thanks by the way! :)

jameservin

Seaman

You know I hate the fact that with some brands ya gotta check the model to see if there are any "problems" with them. Thats one reason I am really looking into Yamaha 90 or 115. Can a guy go wrong with one of these? In 2-stroke that is. May not be the fastest,but...

jameservin2

Recruit

JB, Have been watching I-boat, called today. Will be checking them frequently-thier pricing is good too. The 125 I did verify is a carb 2-stroke :( <br /><br />Narrowing my selection down to:<br />Merc 125 carb 2-stroke 2003(new-noncurrent)<br />Merc opti 115 (DFI) 2-stroke 2004 (used-program)<br />Yamaha carb 90 or 115 still searching<br />Yamaha HPDI 90 or 115 still searching<br /><br /><br />OMC isnt one only cause I never realy owned one-not familiar with em (maybe it ought to be?).<br /><br /> Think the Yamaha be my first choice and merc 2nd if I compare D-Injected to D-injected.<br /><br />What do you all think re buying a carb model instead of DI? Would I be nuts? Is the DI models that far ahead in terms of performance,fuel,etc...? Not to mention future resale.<br /><br />Thanks for any input.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am suspicious of DFI 2 strokes, James. I realise that the Yamaha, Suzuki and Tohatsu DFIs worked from day one, but the Ficht and Optimax gave a lot of expensive headaches for their first few years and i don't have the resources to fix them myself. <br /><br />ETEC seems to be a pretty good system, but not perfect yet.<br /><br />My son in law blew up two '99 Ficht 150s, then gave up and went to the less expensive, lighter, noisier, smokier and less efficient carbed model. He said he lost no performance. It is still runnning fine 7 years later.<br /><br />Were I buying 2 stroke I would go carbs (I do not live in CA).<br /><br />I prefer to go down to about 70-80% of rated hp and go for a proven EFI 4 stroke that is light enough for my taste.

D

DJ

I do NOT disagree that DFI 2-strokes, of past, have had dubious reputations.<br /><br />However, let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater. <br /><br />OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) built some "questionable" stuff in their last throws as a manufacturer. They paid for it by going bankrupt, among other reasons. The designs were OK but they needed refinement. Bombardier, the new owner of J/E nameplates did just that.<br /><br />The people I talk to regarding E-Tec units has been 100% POSITIVE. <br /><br />An E-Tec is in my future. Especially in a weight sensative combo.<br /><br />Foreign maker goods are NOT good just because their foreign. I own a Honda 8 that is as good as an anchor and I did own a Suzuki 140 that I would have liked to have sunk. In other words, they have BIG warts that few will talk about. <br /><br />My experience with Mercury products, as of late, has been very good. I have two. A 75 HP outboard and a Bravo III drive behind a GM 454. The drive has been great, the engine-well that's another story.

jameservin2

Recruit

Anyother thing about the forein brands is suppose a guys out of town at some distant lake-motor breaks, then are parts &/or service available? <br /><br />Yamaha/Merc prob not have trouble- seem to be in many dealerships these days (compared to say suzuki ot tahatsu).<br /><br />Carb model is much more likely fixable by me than DI.because DI requires factory tools/training(?). <br /><br />At this point its hard to just go get the carb model because price difference is just a few hundred. I am however getting little more HP with the carb.(125 compared to 115).

jameservin2

Recruit

JB, the 75-80% rated hp typically the best motor performance to weight ratio tradeoff?<br /><br />Esp in my fishing rig where top speed isnt main concern.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

On the 90 hp Yammie and Merc, Check the cubes. Yammie is around 60 and the Merc around 90. Makes a difference in the hole shot, and my Merc comes out in about 1 second and in the 4th second we are over 40 mph....17' bass boat.<br /><br />Mark

jameservin

Seaman

Found a 90 merc 4-stroke for a good price and bought today. This is a "non-current" 2003 in box for around two thousand less than new 06. Put me in the range I was willing to spend.<br /><br />I would much rather had the 115 as I see the weight is same as the 90, but couldnt find a noncurrent 115.<br /><br />The opti 90 or 115 was anyother favorite(didnt care which really), but no (new)discounted ones found.<br /><br />The discounted "program" or "used" ones I did locate didnt/were not forthcomming re the computer recording (hours,use,etc...(?)info).

D

DJ

James,<br /><br />Congratulations. Enjoy. Let us know how it works out.

jameservin

Seaman

paid 5300 and happy w/price. Am I gonna regret not getting a 05 or 06 with EFI instead of carbed?

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />EFI starts fast as he... even in cold weather. Maybe little more maintenance with 4 carburators but on the other hand You can do the maintenace Yourself if you prefer on carburators. On EFI system you are much more in the hands on marine mechanics to do the service and repair if it fails. I have an EFI outboard myself, Yamaha F115, and it works very good. EFI might be slightly better on fuel consumption. EFI is probably in general better then carburators as long as the EFI system works. Probably more expensive to repair EFI system if it fail?<br />I do not think You will regret you bought a carburated 4-stroke but it is a fact all outboard manufacturer are leaving carburators in favour of EFI in midrange and larger seize.<br />Maybe later if you sell your outboard it could be slight negative it is not EFI, but some buyers will find carburators better for them then EFI and then it will be a plus!<br /><br />/Bo

jameservin

Seaman

thanks bo.<br />I am still pissed as I asked dealer over phone twice if any differences from 03-06 and said no. Then, asked again in person at dealer shop with his mechanic right there and said no again.<br /><br />Problem is, Might have spent anyother grand to get the EFI if I would have been properly answered by him! <br /><br />Also, since this is a carb, is there no computer on it to tell weather motor has any hours? Not sure today.<br />thanks.