55-15HP Fastwin Aquasonic

Fiftyfivefloater

Seaman Apprentice
I finally got around to looking at this one as per forum member suggestions.
I have checked out the coils (visually) by removing the starter and looking into the porthole of the flywheel. I've attached some photos of what I could see. Everything looks very clean, crisp, no discoloration of any kind.

I did remove the carb and cleaned out the fuel bowl at the bottom. It did have some orange gunge in the bottom. The rubber seal for the bowl doesn't look all that good, wrinkled a bit but not torn. Since there was junk in it I am assuming that there must also have been some fuel in the Main Speed adjustment assembly. It probably needs to be cleaned out as well. But....all other parts of the carb look fantastic. The intake valves look minty as well.

One thing I have not been able to determine/locate, is the lower crankshaft seal. Not sure exactly how to go after that one. The recommendation was to for sure inspect it, but to safe it probably needs to be replaced (due to the fact that is a crummy seal to begin with). I see from my owner's manual where the drive shaft seal is located, is this offending seal? The owner's manual doesn't really show a seal between the upper and lower gear case, but it does indicate a seal on the drive shaft that is located below the impeller.
This is probably the point at which I probably need to order a repair manual, right? :)

Attachments

• 55EV3.jpg
    55EV3.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 55Evinrude.jpg
    55Evinrude.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 55Evside2.jpg
    55Evside2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Points1.jpg
    Points1.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Points2.jpg
    Points2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 55-15HP Fastwin Aquasonic

Well, it looks like you found a good old motor and you sound like you have a good idea on how to keep it up and fix it up. Awesome!!:D

You'll have to pull the powerhead in order to get to the lower seal on the crank, which isn't a hard job. Not much on this motor is hard to work on. I just picked up a 1957 18hp myself and luckily, I found to new coils in it.

These motors are very responsive and love to run. Show us some pics. Love to see this jewel.:cool:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Looking at the bottom of the powerhead....

Attachments

• 12hp Gale lower seal 2.jpg
    12hp Gale lower seal 2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

F_R is a good man and has a LOT of insights to the oldies. Myself, oldies are my specialties, but his advice is always good.:cool:

Fiftyfivefloater

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the encouragement! Yep, it was F_R's advice that pointed me towards that POS (pernsickety old seal) at the bottom of the powerhead. Advice like that is indeed priceless. Knowing it has a weak point I can work the seal replacement into a maintenance schedule (and always buy two at a time!) I would have hated to learn that one the hard way......:eek:

You know, I really enjoyed the short time I worked on it yesterday. It was nice using standard wrenches (I call them American) and simple hand tools to get into it. Seems like it is built very straight forward. I am really looking forward to learning about this motor. It is my very first boat motor and the more I mess with it the more I like it. I think, due to my age, that we actually have a lot in common!

I will take some more pics and post them as I go through the clean up and restoration process. What I have seen so far is good enough to keep me moving forward. I did a manual prop to flywheel check through the R-N-F settings and it all seems to be there. :) It does have some battle scars. Someone had to do some fancy welding on the starter housing and on the throttle bracket, but it looks and feels solid as a rock now. I suppose I could grind'em down smooth, but they don't really bother me. I have scars too!

Is there a good place to shop for seals used on vintage motors like mine? I know I need the one below the powerhead, also the one below the carb and I bound to find more as I go through it.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

My very first outboard motor is the one you see in my avitar. My name here says what it is.:D

For your old motor, try
Seaway Marine
Harvey Marine
Engine Blade and Prop
Vintageoutboard.com
aomcia.org

Just to name a few. These are some good places to contact and get a good feel of what they're about and what they can provide. I remember when I got my very first outboard, that is what I did. I looked all over different sources, read lots of material and joined the aomci. You may not realize it, but there is actually a vast supply of parts for your old motor, just not very publically.