470 exhaust cooling ?????

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class
how can I be sure that water is pumping through the exhaust manifold?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 470 exhaust cooling ?????

If it isn't, the engine will overheat. What are you trying to figure out?

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

exhaust boot cracked but almost looks melted I might just be being paranoid.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The you are talking about the riser, not the manifold. The manifold only has antifreeze in it.

You need to pull the riser and inspect it to see if it's plugged up. Also check the impeller, if it's not pumping water, you won't get any water out the back.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

If you look you will see a hose going from the rear of the heat exchanger up through the PS cooler (if you have power steering) to a fitting on the side of the exhaust elbow. You could pull that hose and put your garden hose in there and see if water flows freely out of the outdrive. It sounds like you are getting reduced flow through the raw water side of the exchanger. If the engine exhaust bellows is melted, chances are your exhaust shutters are shot too.

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its pumping water, and before the bellows went out I had good exhaust through the prop as well. I dont have power steering but i could remove one of the plugs on the riser and put a hose to it and see if water flows out of the prop right?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

You want to check the flow through the hose fitting in the elbow. Either pull the hose off the elbow, or the exchanger and see if the water flows freely out of the exhaust.

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok I'll check that tomorrow I'm still waiting for the new boot to arrive

Bondo

Staff member

exhaust boot cracked but almost looks melted I might just be being paranoid.

Ayuh,.... Ya probably oughta get a new set of shutters too...

If that rubber coupler is burnt up, No doubt the shutters are too...

The shutters can impede the water/ exhaust flow out the drive...

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Ayuh,.... Ya probably oughta get a new set of shutters too...

If that rubber coupler is burnt up, No doubt the shutters are too...

The shutters can impede the water/ exhaust flow out the drive...

+1 If the shutters are missing, chances are they are down in the exhaust. While you are at it, it might be a good idea to pull the outdrive and check the plastic housing of the impeller pump, if it was hot enough to melt the bellows, it could have damaged the pump. If you got that far, might as well change the impeller too, couldn't hurt;).

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just put an impeller in it and it was pumping great then we took it out and the coupler popped or burnt still not sure cause it looks dry rotted also. It pumps plenty of water out of the prop and the exhaust was pretty heavy out of the prop also.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

the coupler popped or burnt

Aaha! When your coupler popped your raw water pump stopped, so there was no cooling water to the exhaust, so you probably did overheat the rubber stuff. If the shutters are missing it would probably be a good idea to look for them in the exhaust. It would still probably be a good idea to at least take look at the impeller housing, if it looks OK your impeller should still be fine since it did not run dry. You can probably reuse the gear lube in the outdrive if it looks good since it has been in there for a short time, but you should replace the gaskets on the oil drain and vent plugs. Good luck

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Aaha! When your coupler popped your raw water pump stopped, so there was no cooling water to the exhaust, so you probably did overheat the rubber stuff. If the shutters are missing it would probably be a good idea to look for them in the exhaust. It would still probably be a good idea to at least take look at the impeller housing, if it looks OK your impeller should still be fine since it did not run dry. You can probably reuse the gear lube in the outdrive if it looks good since it has been in there for a short time, but you should replace the gaskets on the oil drain and vent plugs. Good luck
so if the exhaust boot goes out or pops off or whatever the impeller stops pumping or it just cant draw up that far without the exhaust pulling it through ??