40 year old transom… recommendations on wood/epoxy/etc.

HolmAbeer

Recruit
Short sweet n to the point. I just shoveled out the remains of my old transom that somehow held a 250lb Johnson on. Wondering if anyone on here would be able to recommend type of wood (1 3/8” 2x6ft) for my transom that is cased by aluminum skin. Read about coosa, exterior grade ply(wouldn’t this corrode alum?), untreated, starboard. At this point, thinking of using pressure treated, 4layers of oil based epoxy, some sort of thin rubber mat or something on each side and flood 3M5200 on the edges to avoid direct contact. Kinda wingin it. Thanks for any feedback guys!

airshot

Rear Admiral
No pressure treated lumber as those chemicals will react with the aluminum !! I would use exterior plywood glued together to make the right thickness. Plywood will be the strongest!! Others might chime in on other materials, but for me...plywood all the way !!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Exterior (AC or BC are smooth and work well) Plywood laminated with poly resin and a piece of cloth, between plys. Coat the exterior with poly resin as well, especially the end grain.