40 HP starter won't disengage?

Hey everyone...I've noticed recently that my starter shaft won't drop back down when I'm trying to fire the engine up. Once the engine fires however, it disengages and drops back down into place. Can I get away with this for a while, or is this a tell-tale sign that the starter's about to crap out? I hate to throw too much money at is, as the whole boat isn't worth too much more than what a new starter would cost!!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 40 HP starter won't disengage?

Spray some lube on the bendix helix where the gear
spins up.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't use engine oil. Use a product like Tri-Flo. You might even try just cleaning the shaft and grooves. It's obviously sticky as the weight of the bendix would normally cause it to fall down the shaft.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually one of two things has to happen to enable the bendix to drop down: 1, the flywheel has to overrun the bendix ( go faster-as in start to run) OR, 2, the starter has to turn backwards. If neither of these events happens to occur, the bendix will stay engaged. So, in a word or two, don't worry about it. There's probably nothing wrong with it unless it's gummy or rusty.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The starter has a spring at the end that should pop it back. An engine that fails to start should not have a hanging bendix. No -- do not use three-in-one oil. Clean the shaft and grooves using carb cleaner or a degreaser and a Q-tip (cotton swab). Work the bendix up and down and keep cleaning the grooves and shaft. Check for any burrs. No lub is better than using machine oil as that tends to gather dirt and it gets sticky.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The spring cannot push the bendix down unless the starter rotates backwards because it is on a spiral. It would have to be a straight up and down spline for it to push it down without something turning. The spring is in there to hold it down against vibration, once it's already down and the motor is running. That's why it's called an "anti-drift spring". I repeat, don't worry about it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The grooves in the shaft do not have enough pitch to prevent disengagement. Rather than debate this, why not actually try rotating the bendix up the shaft. If the shaft is clean it will fall down. No starter or engine rotation is required. Every engine I work on is given this test whether the starter was worked on or not. It takes only a couple minutes to clean things up and keeps the owners happy.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Out of respect, I won't debate the question. But I invite anybody to go out and try to wind the pinion up into full engagement with the flywheel without turning the starter shaft or flywheel. You can't do it. Likewise for winding it back down. To avoid making a fool of myself, I just went out and tried it on my 35 Johnson. And, by the way, it stays engaged when I take my hands off. I'll shut up now.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Clean the shaft. d:) Like you -- I did mine too (75 Merc), and a 40 Merc, and a 50 Evinrude and they all drop like a rock. The starter shaft does not need to turn nor does the engine for this check. It is possible for the engine to stop at just the right spot so the pinion won't engage when rotating it up manually. Obviously when the starter is spinning it will engage - that's why the pinion teeth have a slight bevel on the leading edge.

haha...allright guys thanks for the input, I'm going to try and take a look at it this afternoon..thanks again

Walker

Captain

Try this. When the starter bendix stays up turn off the key and go rotate the flywheel clockwise by hand. If the bendix drops down on its own then it is working fine.