40 hp rude water pump kit extra parts?

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The exploded view, and the installation instructions don't mention, a gasket for the the water pump housing nor do the pictures show it but my kit came with one. Does it need to be installed and if so above or below the plate?

Also there is an O-ring supplied, and shown in the exp. view, but not mentioned in the installation instructions, it does seem to fit a groove just below the splines at the top of the drive shaft is that where it goes?

Any help?

Thanks, Tight lines

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 40 hp rude water pump kit extra parts?

If the drive shaft has a groove below the splines, that's where the O ring goes ... the splines get greased with a moly grease, but NOT the top of the driveshaft.

Look at parts diagram for your motor on BRP Evinrude website to see what parts your pump gets.

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

What happens if the grease gets on the top of the driveshaft? and what is a Molly grease?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Moly grease is a black grease that handles compressive loads well and allows removing the driveshaft at a later date. It should not get on the top surface because it will cause great downward pressure on the driveshaft, causing potential damage to bearings, seals and gears at the other end of the shaft and excessive upward force on the crankshaft.

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you, Im here to learn.

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I figured that for the o-ring but it is the gasket that worries me.No exploded views show it but I wonder if its something they found needed to be added and the diagrams don't show it.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I figured that for the o-ring but it is the gasket that worries me.No exploded views show it but I wonder if its something they found needed to be added and the diagrams don't show it.
you do not need a gasket.use a sealing compound like permatex avaition sealer.it looks like molassis.

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good thats what I used, following the manual, I applied sealer in the groove installed the seal (not quite an o-ring then re-applied sealer to most of the mating surface then installed it.

The kicker is everthing is put back together and I just found the gasket while I was cleaning up the work space. I didn't see one when i took everything apart but was nervous as the previous owners habits were suspect.

Thanks and Tight lines.