23 foot aquasport deck repair

demundus

Cadet
I am buying a 23 foot aqua sport center console in a few days and upon inspection the boat is great. The hull is good, the stringers are fine, the gas tank was replaces with stainless, basically all my fears are put to rest.

Now the problem, and a preface, I've searched this whole forum so if someone who is more of a veteran here can reference a similar thread id be grateful...

The deck (fiberglass) has two small soft spots related to small cracks. One is on the left side walk way next to the leaning post area, and the other is up along the upper right corner of the front hatch at the front of the boat. The hatch one doesnt concern me, its away from foot traffic and I could cut out the hatch and simply make it bigger and there goes that problem. But the cracks back near the leaning post area have me slightly worried. I've been reading all this complicated stuff thats involved in soft spots and I just feel as if this particular soft spot doesnt warrant all that crazy work. The area is about the size of my hand and the accessibility is basically a few screws away, i can touch the underside with both hands freely... in other words, the area is readily accessible.

I'm looking for reinforcement and cosmetic suggestions. I'll try to provide some pictures in a few days, since I haven't purchased the boat yet.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 23 foot aquasport deck repair

If there's no wood involved and you can get to the backside, then strengthening the soft spots is no problem. The problem is the cosmetic repair of the cracks will be as described in the other threads, there's no short cut, or easier way to do it and have it last.

cheesegrits

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What year is your soon to be hull? Newer AS were balsa cored, older were 3/4 marine ply. The good thing is they are all relatively easy to repair. The stringers are trapezoidal foam core. Check out some of the rebuilds at www.classicaquasport.com especially lilrichard's. Show us some pics when you can of the repair area so we can help you through it.

demundus

Cadet

The one I'm looking at is an 83, sorry for not mentioning that. I will not buy this boat if the work is going to be insane. Under the deck looks fine and basically ship shape for an engine and new accessories, minus these cracks. If its not worth it, ill walk away.

jonesg

Admiral

those cracks are bargaining chips before the sale.

"looks like the hull will have to be dropped" :D

demundus

Cadet

haha if only, I would have given him cash but i already grabbed a certified check for the price i agreed on with him, since he's letting me borrow the trailer and other misc. kind things people normally dont have to do.

PS: do i really have to drop the hull!? I dont think they are that extensive.