225 efi mariner 1996, excessive smoking at start up. The engine, not me!

coves

Seaman Apprentice
At cold start you would think I was fogging for mosquitos! Coming from the idle exhaust next to the tell tale. Goes away very shortly. No abnormal oil consumption. Runs great. Has been doing this for some time now. Not a problem with performance. Just embarrassing as the neighbors think my boat is on fire! BTW, why does this outboard have an idle exhaust and a primary exhaust out the lower unit? Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have stated it many times.----Folks are confused by the concept of a 2 stroke and lubrication in a 2 stroke.----The exhaust relief is there so the engine does not have to push exhaust 2 feet under water.----It all sounds normal to me.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
Leave it alone.....I have it's little brother 150 hp 2.0 LTR....your neighbors will be fine or move....your 2 stroke running optimum far outways friendship

coves

Seaman Apprentice
Leave it alone.....I have it's little brother 150 hp 2.0 LTR....your neighbors will be fine or move....your 2 stroke running optimum far outways friendship
hahahahaha....good answer! Thanks! Keep the dry side up.

coves

Seaman Apprentice
I have stated it many times.----Folks are confused by the concept of a 2 stroke and lubrication in a 2 stroke.----The exhaust relief is there so the engine does not have to push exhaust 2 feet under water.----It all sounds normal to me.
Thanks for your comments! I now understand the idle exhaust. Makes total sense. Oh, those clever engineers...

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The older 3L motors that do this is usually one of two items. First is the oil pump shaft seal will walk out and leak oil into crankcase or secondly the crankcase check valve to oil tank is not bleeding off. The overpressures the oil system and cause oil to bleed into VST

coves

Seaman Apprentice
The older 3L motors that do this is usually one of two items. First is the oil pump shaft seal will walk out and leak oil into crankcase or secondly the crankcase check valve to oil tank is not bleeding off. The overpressures the oil system and cause oil to bleed into VST
Thanks for the reply! Crankcase check valve brand new this past fall as oil transfer to engine reserve tank failed. And was smoking before. If oil pump shaft seal defective would I not notice excessive smoking at start up if stopped for a couple of hours? And would'nt oil consumption be greater? And again, maybe not? After all...Murphy is ever vigilant!