22 foot sun tracker sport fish.... hard steering at high speed

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Steering is normal and good at low and medium speeds with no left/right pull, but when the boat is at WOT, steering becomes extremely stiff. It takes two hands to turn the wheel. Trim doesn't seem to make too much difference either way.

I am beginning to think that maybe the motor (150 4 stroke merc) isn't mounted at the right height, but there seems to be conflicting information out there about motor height and steering. Some are saying higher presents harder steering (grabbing too much air) and some are same lower presents harder steering. Which is right??

alldodge

Staff member
Post some pics so guys can see what your setup is

Might be that it's just more motor then the steering can handle. I would think a 150 needs more then simple cable steer

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Post some pics so guys can see what your setup is

Might be that it's just more motor then the steering can handle. I would think a 150 needs more then simple cable steer
Well... It's all factory. I don't have an exact pic right now. I'm in the city and the boat is out at the cottage... but since it's all factory I'll just grab a pic off the net:

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So yours is a 2023 or 2024?

Been this way since new
2023. We bought it with 8 hours running time on it, so I don't know how it was from the factory, but it has been hard steering at speed since we have had it.

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks
I hope someone can help, I unable to figure how a new boat would do that. That's a safety issue

If it was mine I would ask the dealer they should have a idea because yours is surely not the only one with the issue. Is it still be under warranty?