2019 Ranger Reata 1850 - Looking for info on Ranger Manufacturing since BPS

cittigirl

Recruit
I’ve had two awful experiences buying used boats (Fall 2017 bought Larson Flyer w 115 Evinrude – 17 years old, starter boat. I expected maintenance and upkeep, but the 3rd time of use, engine wouldn’t start, cylinder is scored and not worth fixing. Total loss. Summer 2018 bought 1995 Glastron in immaculate shape w 2013 Suzuki DF140 – AMAZING engine. Loved the boat. After winterizing, found out transom is rotted and cracked. Not worth fixing, but at least the engine is worth $7000-8000). Can’t stomach inheriting other people’s problems. Would rather take the depreciation hit.

After looking at Lund, Alumacraft, Crestliner and Ranger, Reata has everything my son and I need and then some.

My only concern is quality and reliability. I have read a lot of information about the BPS acquisition and speculation about Ranger employees jumping to Vexus, but nothing of substance or reality.

The boat I’m looking at is in-stock at a reputable local dealer, happens to have options I want and in color I like with a 175 Mercury ProXS.

I’m fairly new at boats so would like some help in what to look for as I’m not sure if I would notice what others would call obvious flaws. I’m looking at it again on Tuesday and am basically ready to make the deal. I’m going to press them to include the boat show extras that were offered last year (free cover, gift cards, life preserver or similar in rangerwear and extended warranty).

The other option, if they are not willing to negotiate, there is another local dealer (not as conveniently located) that will order one for me at a competitive price with boat show options and extended warranty. My only concern is A) location is 30 min further and not on our way to the lake we usually go to every weekend and B) the boat isn’t built and I’m seeing trends of production being up to 6 months out. Also, common sense is telling me if they’re behind, there may be pressure to rush and I think that’s when mistakes happen.

Grateful for your input and experience.

The only option I’m on the fence about is the vertical rod holder at the rear livewell. I think it would be convenient to have when we’re fishing but perhaps it’s another thing to break or be in the way when we aren’t fishing. We are fishing 80% of the time I would estimate. Anyone have this rod holder?