2007 Larson 370 Cabrio

Rostov

Cadet
Hi all,
I am new here, and new to the boating, planning to get one. Came across 2007 Larson 370 Cabrio - what do you think? It has ~430h on engines, and looks good over all.
What can you say about it? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its 13yrs old, how well it was maintained or wasnt is more important.

So condition condition condition

Rostov

Cadet
Well... condition is a tricky part - this boat is in dry storage, as they call it - Spring boat. So if I want to buy it, ill have to sign the contract now, and in April we would get it on the water to do a survey, which means that if something goes wrong with it, ill be without a boat for another season...
If I may, I have 2 questions (to begin with :) ):
1. Is the painted bottom a common thing? Why? Is it that difficult to clean the original surface?
2. Why would I paint props? (some grey paint)
Bonus. :) - The table poll on the deck was corroded at the bottom, salt most likely, and it was very difficult to lull it out, i even thought it was welded... Is it common? Or does it show the level of care for this boat?
Thanks!!! :)

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
There is plenty you can have checked out while dry docked.Certainly enough for you to consider moving forward.Also a determination can be made if you want to walk away or not.Do all you can now while the market is dull.Price is going to have a lot to do with a decision.No one expects to pay top dollar in "off season".Are u comfortable with the asking price? Charlie

Rostov

Cadet
There is plenty you can have checked out while dry docked.Certainly enough for you to consider moving forward.Also a determination can be made if you want to walk away or not.Do all you can now while the market is dull.Price is going to have a lot to do with a decision.No one expects to pay top dollar in "off season".Are u comfortable with the asking price? Charlie
Thanks Charlie. Asking price is at average retail by NADA. Sure it could be negotiated, that is an easy part :) ... The main thing is condition. I want to enjoy it, not fixing it. Its an old vessel, always a risk, but i want to minimize it as much as I can.

tpenfield

Staff member
My thoughts . . .

Not your first boat I assume? What are you coming from as a previous boat?

Bottom paint is a thing in salt water. Props too.

Raw water cooled engines in salt water will give you about 15 years of use, then there is too much rust scale within the engine for it to be viable. Are the engines raw water cooled or closed cooling?

Is the boat run in salt water or unsalted?

About 30 hours per year on the engines . . . not terrible. Big boy boats tend to get used less than smaller boats.

If the survey comes back with show stoppers, what is preventing you from buying a different boat in short order?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Well... condition is a tricky part - this boat is in dry storage, as they call it - Spring boat. So if I want to buy it, ill have to sign the contract now, and in April we would get it on the water to do a survey, which means that if something goes wrong with it, ill be without a boat for another season...
If I may, I have 2 questions (to begin with :) ):
1. Is the painted bottom a common thing? Why? Is it that difficult to clean the original surface?
2. Why would I paint props? (some grey paint)
Bonus. :) - The table poll on the deck was corroded at the bottom, salt most likely, and it was very difficult to lull it out, i even thought it was welded... Is it common? Or does it show the level of care for this boat?
Thanks!!! :)
being on the hard is a good thing for half the inspection. you can inspect the bottom for blisters and cracks, the drives, the compression of the motors, pull the manifolds and inspect the manifolds and risers, check for residual moisture, etc. get a full survey

since the boat is bottom painted and you have corrosion on the deck. I would consider this a salt water boat. as Ted pointed out, unless you have heat exchangers, the motors may be coming to end of life. you may need to plan on new engines

paulswagelock

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Larson boats are mid to lower tier boats. Not known for great construction and design. Look closely at all the small details- switches, electronics, hatches, drains, pumps, etc for neglect and wear. Also lots of posts about them leaking rain water onto the engines from the cockpit hatch, check that out. Agree with the others, maintenance along the way will be the deciding factor on whether this is a good option or not.
A good surveyor will be needed and might find it is a solid choice or run to run from.

Rostov

Cadet
My thoughts . . .

Not your first boat I assume? What are you coming from as a previous boat?

Bottom paint is a thing in salt water. Props too.

Raw water cooled engines in salt water will give you about 15 years of use, then there is too much rust scale within the engine for it to be viable. Are the engines raw water cooled or closed cooling?

Is the boat run in salt water or unsalted?

About 30 hours per year on the engines . . . not terrible. Big boy boats tend to get used less than smaller boats.

If the survey comes back with show stoppers, what is preventing you from buying a different boat in short order?
Wow, thanks for the info!
This is my first boat, I had Jet Skis for a few years now. Loving it, but ready for a big boys fun. :)
This boat in brackish water, but I would consider it salt. I think it is inclosed system, ill check.
Thanks!
PS - If deal goes south in April - this is a hottest season for Sellers, not buyers, and with covid - it is just madness. I tried to get one this summer, i would not even make it to the dealer before it was gone... :)

Rostov

Cadet
being on the hard is a good thing for half the inspection. you can inspect the bottom for blisters and cracks, the drives, the compression of the motors, pull the manifolds and inspect the manifolds and risers, check for residual moisture, etc. get a full survey

since the boat is bottom painted and you have corrosion on the deck. I would consider this a salt water boat. as Ted pointed out, unless you have heat exchangers, the motors may be coming to end of life. you may need to plan on new engines
Great... That is definitely something i don't want to deal with. Thanks!! ... yes, salt water.

tpenfield

Staff member
Wow, thanks for the info!
This is my first boat, I had Jet Skis for a few years now. Loving it, but ready for a big boys fun. :)
This boat in brackish water, but I would consider it salt. I think it is enclosed system, I'll check.
Thanks!
PS - If deal goes south in April - this is a hottest season for Sellers, not buyers, and with covid - it is just madness. I tried to get one this summer, i would not even make it to the dealer before it was gone... :)
Go big or go home. :oops: 🤪

You will certainly be on a steep learning curve, so take it slow and be safe.

Remember . . . boating is dangerous, and only looks like fun. :D

Rostov

Cadet
...Remember . . . boating is dangerous, and only looks like fun. :D
That is what I always say about something I really love, to keep it for myself... Yes! It is very dangerous! I am IN!! :))

BTW, I may have a chance to get my hands on 2009 Formula 310 Sun Sport - what do you think, i see you have one..?

tpenfield

Staff member
That is what I always say about something I really love, to keep it for myself... Yes! It is very dangerous! I am IN!! :))

BTW, I may have a chance to get my hands on 2009 Formula 310 Sun Sport - what do you think, i see you have one..?
I have a 330SS. It is a bit bigger than the 310. The 310 is a nice boat, and I believe it has a better ride than my boat since it is a 22 degree hull.

tpenfield

Staff member
Another thing you may want to do is learn more about how boats are built. That way, in evaluating used boats, both now and in the future, you can better assess what issues you may have in owning and maintaining a boat.

An important aspect of a boat's construction is the material used. Wood has been used extensively in the past, and is still in use today, although to a lesser extent. The use of wood presents challenges in terms of longevity. You might want to see about the materials used to make the Larson, as that will inform your (and a surveyors) inspection and evaluation of the boat.

Here is a link that I found giving some details on the boat and its construction . . .
https://www.myworldweb.com/boating/2008/08-larson-370DC/08-larson-370dc.html

Last edited: