2007 Honda 225 loss of power

CPro

Seaman
Hello, I have a 2007 Everglades 223 with a 2007 Honda 225. The engine currently has about 970 hrs. I purchased the boat in 2020 (right before the covid price increases!) and it has been a great boat.

When I first bought the boat in early spring of 2020 I could get it up to around 41 or 42 mph. I've noticed it goes faster in the cooler weather, which isn't surprising since the air is a little more dense then. These days it will only get to about 37 or 38 mph, even at WOT in the cooler weather.

Lately it has been slower to get up on plane (it has been very hot here in MD lately) and I can't help but feel like I have seen a gradual loss of power of the last 4 years. I replaced all the fuel filters and the plugs this spring. All of the old plugs looked pretty good, no obvious combustion issues. The bottom was freshly painted this spring as well and I fish 2 or 3X per week, so there is no growth on the boat. There are no obvious prop issues either.

I see that the max RPM for this engine is supposed to be 6,000 rpm. At WOT, I can get it up to about 5200 RPM (eventually). The engine runs smooth throughout the RPM range.

Last night I had a buddy out fishing with me and I would throttle up to get on plane and the boat would get up to about 3500 rpm and have trouble pulling past that to get up on plane. It would get there eventually, but it's definitely not as snappy as it used to be. Once it was up on plane the engine would accelerate up to higher RPMs.

Is this potentially a throttle cable issue? Maybe that is due for adjustment? Thx in advance for any thoughts you might have.

Trevor

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Hello, I have a 2007 Everglades 223 with a 2007 Honda 225. The engine currently has about 970 hrs. I purchased the boat in 2020 (right before the covid price increases!) and it has been a great boat.

When I first bought the boat in early spring of 2020 I could get it up to around 41 or 42 mph. I've noticed it goes faster in the cooler weather, which isn't surprising since the air is a little more dense then. These days it will only get to about 37 or 38 mph, even at WOT in the cooler weather.

Lately it has been slower to get up on plane (it has been very hot here in MD lately) and I can't help but feel like I have seen a gradual loss of power of the last 4 years. I replaced all the fuel filters and the plugs this spring. All of the old plugs looked pretty good, no obvious combustion issues. The bottom was freshly painted this spring as well and I fish 2 or 3X per week, so there is no growth on the boat. There are no obvious prop issues either.

I see that the max RPM for this engine is supposed to be 6,000 rpm. At WOT, I can get it up to about 5200 RPM (eventually). The engine runs smooth throughout the RPM range.

Last night I had a buddy out fishing with me and I would throttle up to get on plane and the boat would get up to about 3500 rpm and have trouble pulling past that to get up on plane. It would get there eventually, but it's definitely not as snappy as it used to be. Once it was up on plane the engine would accelerate up to higher RPMs.

Is this potentially a throttle cable issue? Maybe that is due for adjustment? Thx in advance for any thoughts you might have.

Trevor
Whole lot of rpm missing if the boat hit 6000 rpm when you got it.

Could be a throttle position issue. injectors could need cleaned.

How long since the motor had a good health check up?

cyclops222

Ensign
Sounds like weak failing ignition system also.
Find the problem NOW Or risk a tow from way offshore.
A can of Sea Foam would be helpful.

cyclops222

Ensign
Sea Foam is a forever reliable way of cleaning fuel line systems. With NO risk of damage to any of your parts. How many so called injector places can claim that. Do they actually clean your injectors ? Or more likely give you someone else's ?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You might check your compression. Did you do that when you first got the motor, as a comparison could be useful.

What shape is the prop in?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Sea Foam is a forever reliable way of cleaning fuel line systems. With NO risk of damage to any of your parts. How many so called injector places can claim that. Do they actually clean your injectors ? Or more likely give you someone else's ?
I guess they could have a forging operation to change serial numbers so they could send you other peoples injectors for unknown reasons.

How exactly do you test the flow and spray pattern of an injector by dumping a bottle of naphtha in the fuel tank?

Do you pour a bag of o-ring and seals in the tank as well to replace any damaged components?