2003 Mercury 150 Saltwater warning beeps

joebiii

Cadet
Was out on the water this weekend. On the return trip, I got a series of warning alerts - BEEP BEEP BEEP... almost sounded like there was a short in the warning system the way it triggered on an off. Got home and researched a little to find that it was probably oil injection related because it was not a constant BEEP. I pulled the cover and found the oil reservoir to be down about an inch from the top. Is that the normal operating level for remote tank oil feed into the engine mounted reservoir? The remote tank has over 2 gallons of 2cycle oil in it. I unscrewed the cap of the engine mounted reservoir and there were no obstructions on the float mechanism. It appeared to move freely.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 2003 Mercury 150 Saltwater warning beeps

Engine tank should be plumb full tight. The engine supplies about 2 lbs pressure through one of the 2 lines going to the boat tank. The other line takes the oil to the engine tank. If that line gets kinked or pinched, the engine tank won't get oil, a check valve lets a little air into it, and the oil pump keeps getting oil. When it goes down just a little, the alarm goes off telling you something is wrong.

Sludge in the boat tank could plug up the pickup screen. I've also seen them plugged up by a foil oil bottle seal carelessly dropped into the tank.

Once you find out why the oil couldn't get there, start the engine with the cowl off and loosen the cap on the engine oil tank until it leaks, then tighten it down and clean up the mess. That tank is normally plumb full tight.

If when the engine is running, you crack the cap on the boat tank, you should hear pressure let off. If the cap leaks, it won't build up pressure. If there is pressure, the oil line is plugged or kinked.

If pressure isn't supplied, the problem would be the crankcase check valve on the engine, lower forward starboard side, with the hose going to it.

hope it helps
John

joebiii

Cadet

Many thanks John. I may be making progress, thanks to you.

I removed the oil feed tube from the remote tank and found a thin layer of slime accumulated on the filter screen. I was not able to blow through it, so i'm assuming the engine wasn't able to either. I removed the feed tube and cleaned it out with carb cleaner then blew it out with compressed air. being i found the grunge on the filter, i figured i better check out the condition of the bottom of the tank. i emptied the tank contents into a new 6 gal gas tank (with exception of the dregs). i sprayed carb cleaner into the bottom of the tank and it looks pretty good. both are drying over night.

A few more questions for you:

-any reservation about me refilling the oil back into the cleaned tank (considering the filter had accumulated slime)?

-the lines to my remote oil tank were secured via zip ties. any recommendations on a better way to secure them - understanding whatever it is would have to withstand the constant vibration of the boat/motor?

-should i test the pressure-fill of the motor mounted oil reservoir via the steps you previously stated (by easing the cap while running) or should i fill it manually since i emptied the entire tank?

-do you recommend a manual mix of oil to my fuel (as i've seen stated in new remote tank installations)?

many thanks again for your guidance!

JoeBIII

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Refill the remote tank, and then re-run the engine. with the oil cap off the motor tank. Before you start it, carefully mark the level. Then run the engine and confirm the level is rising. If it is, then you know the remote tank can fill the engine tank. Shut it off, top off the engine tank and put the cap back on.
If it starts going down again, the alarm will sound again.
As long as the zip ties are not pinching the line closed, they should be fine.

gss036

Commander

Follow Don's instructions. As far as reusing the oil you removed, pour it through a screened funnel and and reuse it, shouldn't be a problem as I have done this before.

seafox 257

Seaman Apprentice

this is why I no longer have oil injection! Usually by the time the warning goes off it is to late! I would ditch the injection and go with premix

j_martin

Admiral

this is why I no longer have oil injection! Usually by the time the warning goes off it is to late! I would ditch the injection and go with premix

SeaFox,
His warning went off about a half hour at WOT from trouble. That's what it's supposed to do.

Joe,
The grunge is from a little water getting into the oil, and a bacterial action creating the slime. I think I'd use the oil in a lawn mower or something. If you go through it pretty fast, maybe put it through a paint filter, but discard the bottom inch or so in the bottle.

About the only way water could get into the boat oil tank is carelessness when it's being filled, or carelessness handling the oil. I always put full gallons in, so I open a bottle, dump it in, and chit can the bottle.

The zip ties are special full circle hose ties. Get them at your mercury dealer. Most marine mechanics will have a pocketful on hand.

I'd fill the engine tank 3/4 full, then top it off with the engine running by letting the oil system fill it from the boat tank. This is accomplished by loosening the cap on the engine tank.

Just for insurance, I usually mix about an ounce of oil per gallon of fuel in my main tank. That's over 100:1, but I run it very hard, so the 40:1 or so at WOT is beneficial. Also, because I use full synthetic, it probably would let the motor survive a fairly long run to the dock at half throttle if the oiler failed.

Hope it helps,
John

joebiii

Cadet
Closure to my warning signal indicator

Closure to my warning signal indicator

Just wanted to let you guys know that i just resolved the issue i had regarding the warning alert i was getting on my Salt 150 Merc - with 100% of the kudos extending to those who provide feedback - particularly J Martin who posted feedback to both of my open threads. You guys were dead-on. I had a slime buildup on the filter screen of my oil resevoir - which led to the engine oil tank level to be run down to the point of sounding the alert. i cleanded it thoroughly, strained my oil and filled it back up to the top. before running the engine (in attempt to see if it was now drawing oil from the tank correctly) i used the feedback i got from another thread i had opened regarding installing a light to add a visual alert when the warning horn sounded. i wanted to get the LED installed correctly first, so that i could see that the light was working (since the motor was still in the 'alerting' state with the engine oil tank low). I hooked up the LED as instructed by your feedback on my other thread, fired up the engine without the engine tank cap on and the light/alerts were sounding like crazy. slowly the tank refilled, at which point both the visual and audio alerts ceased. waited until the tank was entirely filled, then tightened it up. no alerts, and it looks like all is working well. will attempt to take it for a spin tomorrow. many thanks again!!!!! i had already assumed i needed to go pick up a trailer from storage (my boat is hung in a rack), limp to the ramp, and haul the trailer/boat into town (35 miles) to the Merc service guys. you guys saved me a ton of effort, stress, and probably a little cash as well. Can't say thanks enough!!!!!!