2002 Honda BF 2D Engine runs, prop wont.

cymru

Seaman
Hi,

The prop is totally frozen, but the engine runs OK. I pulled the lower unit and the prop turns freely, disconnected from the engine. How do I get to what's between the engine and drive shaft, and what is it? Is it a centrifugal clutch like a chain saw?

Should add that the motor was submerged in 2004 (idiot boyfriend of my daughter). I flushed and flushed and flushed and the motor runs well. The long drive shaft had no rust or salt buildup when I pulled it just now.

cymru

Seaman
Re: 2002 Honda BF 2D Engine runs, prop wont.

Another thing: I am progressively and slowly, disassembling the engine from the bottom. Is this the correct dirrection to get to the clutch? BTW I think thes motors, like most Hondas, were designed by committee. An inordinate amount of taking apart to get to an item...

cymru

Seaman

Ok, I have got into the clutch and the mess inside is incredible. Full of dust from the shoes wearing down as I tried to get the propellor to work. Looks like sea-water got in thru the breather pipe and stayed to rust everything up.

The clutch outer assembly is stuck solid with the clutch housing. What is the best way to free it to get at the bearing which is what needs replacing, (I think)? Thanks.

cymru

Seaman

Ok finally got the parts for the clutch. Cost 170 Euros, which in real money is about 240 Dollars. Wow! Will start reassembly tomorrow.:)