2001 Yamaha F100 TLRZ retifier upgrade deletes green/wh wire for Tach work around

Marvin1950

Cadet
I have seen a number of boaters dealing with their F100 retifier going bad. Then ordering the replacement part and finding out Yamaha Gen 2 replacement retifier the green wire has being removed from the retifier. This wire connected to the wire going to the Tachometer from what I could tell. . So how are the boaters working around this issue to get the Tach working.
I have searched but nothing has surfaced for any adapters?

Attachments

• Yamaha f100 Tlrz.jpg
    Yamaha f100 Tlrz.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 3
  • New Yamaha Retifier.jpg
    New Yamaha Retifier.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 3

Marvin1950

Cadet
What has Yamaha said?
Go to this Yamaha web page
it says Rely on us for the answers
call For questions regarding your Yamaha Outboard call:
(866) 894-1626
You will have more luck Googling the web for answers :)
After speaking with two differnet individuals, they basicically can give me information that is available for parts and have no technical department to address issues. Recommended visits local dealers around the area.
Visited 3 boat repair locations...none had dealt with the F100 and was surprized when I showed the pictures of the old Retifier with green wire, and the new GEN2 Rectifier 67F-81960-12-00 67F-81960-00-00 missing the wire. Seems the older 2001 F100 is a dinosaur

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
You can always tap into one of the three green wires to get a signal for the tachometer.

Marvin1950

Cadet
You can always tap into one of the three green wires to get a signal for the tachometer.
Those 3 wires must go to the strator it appears . Could not see anything specific for each of the wires as which one would be better than the other
to tap into? Has any one tried this to see if the TACH shows accurate readings?

Marvin1950

Cadet
Those 3 wires must go to the strator it appears . Could not see anything specific for each of the wires as which one would be better than the other
to tap into? Has any one tried this to see if the TACH shows accurate readings?
Question the wire going into rectifier is AC current and going out DC to charge the battery? wouldn't taping into the green wires send a AC to tach<
Thought TACH It counts the pulses in the alternator pulsating DC output

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The tachometer works on frequency. AC frequency.

All three green leads have the same frequency.

Marvin1950

Cadet
I have seen a number of boaters dealing with their F100 retifier going bad. Then ordering the replacement part and finding out Yamaha Gen 2 replacement retifier the green wire has being removed from the retifier. This wire connected to the wire going to the Tachometer from what I could tell. . So how are the boaters working around this issue to get the Tach working.
Update to the orginal question . Based on the advice of Boscoe99 I did the following to get my Tachometer working.
1. Repaced the old retifier with the new missing the original GRN/WH wire to the Tachometer. Charging system running at 14.5 voltage now
2. Tapped a needle into 1 of the 3 green wires going to the retifier which is AC
used allegator clips over the tachometer wire.
Started the engine and had good tach readings ( shocked but pleased)
3. where I inserted the pin, used a T tap connector and wired over to the tach green/ white wire. very clean connection and is working fine so far.
thanks to the iboats forum and boscoe99...after searching the internet this was the first place to consider with a work around issue. 4 boat repair shops had no idea how to deal with this issue!

Attachments

• New Yamaha Retifier.jpg
    New Yamaha Retifier.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2
  • quick splice.jpg
    quick splice.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 2

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear that you got it up and working.

Marvin1950

Cadet
New update since tapping into green wire on retifier over to Tach wiring. The Tach seems to work well when in neutral and throttle engine up from Idle 850 RPM to high of 4000 rpm very smooth. Took out boat today, when running about 10 MPH RPM hold about 1500 RPM , higher speed 2000 RPM but needle is eratic not smooth as checking it in neutral. Not sure if putting into gear causes a different pulsing to the tach. Just an FYI.