2001 Yamaha 130HP Low Oil Level Alarm on Main Tank

BD52

Recruit
Purchasing a boat with this 2001 Yamaha 130HP motor from Private seller. Upon starting engine the alarm sounded and constantly stayed on. After much time spent troubleshooting, and ruling out most all causes (high temp, etc.) for why the alarm was wanting to stay on, we go to the main oil reservoir tank.

We removed the float switch unit/shaft from the 3/4 full oil tank. The float switch "fell to the bottom of shaft" (as it should have, now being out of the tank and not submerged in the oil to make it stay in the upper position) and THE ALARM STOPS SOUNDING!!!! Stops sounding even though the float is now in the INCORRECT (bottom) position on the shaft. Its like its working backwards: and "alarming" when the float is in the "raised position" instead of the "lowered" (low oil) position.

We then "swapped out" the entire float switch/sending unit, and the same problem still occurred with the new unit installed. Our next step was to "swap out" the entire wire harness from the sending unit on the tank (thinking that a wire or plug may be bad) to the plug in the engine cowling....... STILL THE SAME PROBLEM!

The oil pump continues to pump oil (on demand) from main reservoir to the small remote tank on the engine with no issues.

HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS BEFORE, OR CAN ANYONE FIGURE THIS OUT?

I really need this to function properly before i feel comfortable purchasing this boat.

HELP!!!!!!!!

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
It's been a couple of years since I had a two stroke outboard. Remind me, how many wires are coming from the float switch sending unit, is it two or four. I may be wrong but I was thinking the float switch is monitoring the oil level and when the oil is low the float switch turns the pump on to transfer oil from the sub tank to the main tank. Can you post a couple of pictures of the bottom of the shaft. I wanna say at the bottom of the shaft is the sensor that monitors the lack of oil in the tank and sounds the alarm. Like I said it's been awhile and I'm working on memory how the system worked on my old 2 stroke 175.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I can’t remember exactly on this engine (I had a 115 v4) but I know on some Yamaha 2 / oil injection systems that the alarm can sound not only for low oil, but for lack of oil flow too.