2001 V150TLRZ not pumping oil

jrgrady

Cadet
OK, after searching this forums site and reading most of RODBOLT'S posts, I have a very good idea on where to go next. First, the oil reserve tank is not pumping oil into the main oil tank. It works through the manual switch and fills the main tank up. Second, I do not have colored lights on my gauge on the dash. I have a combo Yamaha trim, tach and oil gauge with three bars on the bottom for oil. From what I have been reading, this engine must be running in order for oil to pump to the main tank other than if the main tank is low when you first turn the key, then the pump will run for 180 seconds to fill the main tank. The trim sender also does not affect the oil pumping on this year and model. So what happens is my main tank will run low, buzzer will sound and the three oil bars on the gauge will flash.

I took the CDI cover off and unplugged the main tank 3 position switch. I tested the switch for continuity and all three switches are passing the continuity test. Next I jumped the black wire to the black/green wire on the harness/CDI. No pump operation. This is where I left off this afternoon.

I will have to take the reserve tank out and check the ground on the reserve tank. My seloc manual says the CDI is bad but after reading rodbolts posts, I highly doubt it is. Anything else I should be checking?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2001 V150TLRZ not pumping oil

three bars flashing means the remote tank switch,SWB, is working.
the fact you can manually transfer means the 12V positive is working.
if the switch,SWB is closed the green or far right bar is set.
if SWB is open the yellow or center bar is set.
if SW3, lowest switch on the engine tank is closed RPM reduction,red or far left bar and the audible is set.
however if SWB is closed AND SW3 is closed the system sees it as a malfunction and starts the initial oil tank fill cylce that lasts 180 seconds.
SW2 is the center switch in the engine tank and commands transfer pump on, SW2 ONLY works if the engine is running.
transfer pump will run until SW1,top switch in the engine tank, closes commanding transfer pump off.
all the manual switch does is set the transfer pump blue wire to ground, if you look closely you will see the splice that goes over to the ECU.
a quick chek of the ground path,engine tank low enough to trigger the alarm,remote tank about 1/2 full.
one volt meter lead slipped up the bullet connector at the remote oil tank blue wire,the other to a good engine ground.
turn on the key, should show less than 1/2 volt for 180 seconds then revert to 12V.

jrgrady

Cadet

So empty reserve tank to 1/2 full, empty main tank low enough to trigger the alarm, one voltmeter lead to blue wire on reserve tank, other to ground. Turn key on and the reading should read 1/2 volt for 180 seconds, then revert to 12v after that.

When I took the tank out of its holder, I did take note that the rubber hose which carries the oil to the main tank was pinched. I am sure that this was the problem however I have been having this problem all summer and the local repair shop that I go to told me to not worry about the sensors and to just remove the cap to the main oil tank each time the buzzer goes off and refill the main tank. Now after reading your posts, I am VERY thankful that nothing was damaged inside the tank. What do I need to ensure when buttoning this up for good?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

any debris in the engine tank can fall into the oil pump intake when the screen assy is removed, always drain the tank prior to removal. always retrieve and replace the seal on the screen with a new one.
while a pinched line or a clogged remote tank filter can inhibit oil flow it wont prevent the pump from running.
should read LESS than 1/2 volt. anymore indicates a loose or open wire condition but only when the pump is active.
while the remote tank is out is a good time to do the filter maint.
myself, I would hunt for a place with real technicians.

jrgrady

Cadet

So I figured I would try and do the easy route first. Since I have recently found a pinched hose behind the reserve tank. I figured I would drain the main tank below the lower limit marking on the tank. I started it up and the tank filled up. However it did not fill up to the upper limit mark on the main tank. It only filled up about halfway. The buzzer shut off and I was showing three solid bars on my gauge.

Little backstory was I completely redid the boat from transom to floor to fuel tank. The engine and all rigging was removed and reinstalled by me. Obviously I pinched the hose accidentally when reinstalling everything. Heres a quick before and after. The boat is a 1978 R190 Robalo

007-1.jpg

DSC01997.jpg

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

sounds like its still restricted OR the remote tank filter is partially clogged.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Check the boat mounted oil tank also for sludge or "snot" on the bottom that accumulates over the years and restricts the small hoses and the filter screen. A quick check can be done by using a turkey baster with a 6" length of fuel hose on the end. Remove and flush out the whole tank and all the lines if you find any.

jrgrady

Cadet

Yeah I'm gonna have to remove the tank and clean the filter out and while im at it, I'll blow some compressed air through the hose.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and we could have resolved this a lot quicker had you stated the pump runs but oil isnt transfered and 3 lights flash when the buzzer sounds.
half my battle is getting a straight story.
the customer can either tell me in the office or pay me to go figgure it out at 85/hr on his/her nickel.
but go check that filter and clean the remote tank.

jrgrady

Cadet

Thanks for the resto compliment. It was all done by me and was a labor of love.