20 HP Head Gasket ?

dave 416

Seaman
Hellow everyone I have a 1993 johnson 20 hp that idles very rough and has alot of white smoke I checked for spark good both cyl did a dva test and switched coils and 2 new plugs Yet when its running and i pull the top plug wire it runs the same pull the bottom and it stops running. Comp on both cyls is 110 psi.The reason i think its the head gasket is because when I run it the base cowel around the engine fills with water and after i pull the spark plugs it looks like steam or smoke comes from the spark plug holes on both cyls for about 4 or 5 min any ideas thx for your help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 20 HP Head Gasket ?

it sounds like the taletell (pee) hose has come lose at the engine, or the outlet. what do the plugs look like, are they alike. 110 on both is fine for a 20hp, are you sure the lower is getting fuel?

dave 416

Seaman
Re: 20 HP Head Gasket ?

Thanks for reponding will check the telltale at the outlet.I just bought this motor and put new plugs in it hard to tell much differance between top and bottem but i would say the top looks a bit cleaner could it be steam comiing out of the top cyl when the plug is removed or exhast