1999 yamaha 1200xl rebuild help

adboles

Recruit
I'm new to this forum but joined so that I maight be able to rebuild my 1999 1200xl. I had it rebuilt in 07, and it just went down again. People I have talked to say that putting in new cylinder sleeves and pistons isn't that hard, and that I need to start by getting a repair manual. I have also been having trouble with the throttle sticking after the engine gets warmed up and sits for a moment. The shop guys have replaced the throttle cable and made some sort of adjustment with the carb linkage, but it still happens perodically. The last repair guy said I needed a part for the carb that only comes as a component with new carbs and I would have to spend the money to buy all three. Here are my questions. Can an average guy with a pretty good set of standard and metric tools follow the manual and break down the 1200xl engine and put it back together correctly? Is it difficult to repair the oil delivery system, hoses, check valves etc with the engine still in the boat or will I need to take it out? Does anyone have any experience with the throttle situation?
Thanks,
Alan

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1999 yamaha 1200xl rebuild help

Hi bud, damn its only 09 now. What the hell are you doing to that to have to rebuild it again? Whats the compression? If the linkage was replaced and the carbs still stick try carb rebuild. I keep seeing people here doing major overhauls and overlooking the little shiat. I am guilty myself, i rebuilt my carbs twice when it was only the temperature sensor.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1999 yamaha 1200xl rebuild help

the lower butterfly rod is hanging up due to deformed carb body,, happens quite often you can carefully remove the bottom butterfly after you grind off the end of the 2 screws as they are expanded to prevent them from falling out and ruining the engine,, you can carefully reshape the rod holes and replace the seals ,, but since the openings are pretty close tolerance you will need to be very careful not to enlarge them by much