1999 Opti DFI 150 stalls

wormboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Howdy
Just bought my 2nd boat with 1999 2stroke Optimax 150 DFI; the motor runs and starts well, but while trolling it will occasionally stall. The prev owner had the engine serviced when he bought it 3-4 yrs ago, but rarely used the boat after buying it. I ran a bottle of sea foam thru it mixed with fuel directly from a container and replaced the plugs; I don't have a shop manual yet, so i don't feel comfortable with this motor yet. Didn't really solve the problem-- the idle is a bit rough, in my opinion, and the stall sounds like a the engine gets a bolus of fuel and gags, for lack of better description.
Any quick ideas to try first? There are few reliable merc-trained mechanics in my area, so trailering to a mechanic could be a major pain.
I appreciate any ideas.
BTW, I am aware of the battery requirements for this engine; the set-up at this point is two 650 cca batteries hooked thru a battery switch--- I am going to replace one with a dedicated start battery, but if I have the battery switch to all (i.e., 1300 cca) there is no difference int he engine performance.

Many thanks in advance!!

boat_ri_m

Recruit
Re: 1999 Opti DFI 150 stalls

I also have a 1999 Opti dfi 150 that stalls when idling. I was wondering if you ever solved the problem? I also have an occaisional "skip" when running at higher rpm's. It does this about once every hour or so? I've replaced plugs, filters, ran from an external tank, and it's made no difference. I have had the diags from the Merc dealer and they have found nothing wrong. Any suggestions is much appreciated.

debamoore

Recruit
Re: 1999 Opti DFI 150 stalls

I also have a 1999 Opti dfi 150 that stalls when idling. I was wondering if you ever solved the problem? I also have an occaisional "skip" when running at higher rpm's. It does this about once every hour or so? I've replaced plugs, filters, ran from an external tank, and it's made no difference. I have had the diags from the Merc dealer and they have found nothing wrong. Any suggestions is much appreciated.

Did you ever resolve this problem? Thanks