1998 force 120hp red stator testing

IMPATIENT 1

Seaman Apprentice
anybody know the test procedure for the stator on these things? flywheel magnet came apart and nicked the stator alil. i have 655ohms resistance between the green/white and white/green wires, no short to ground. the yellow wires coming outta the stator had melted alil where they connect to the motor harness at the barrelt connectors, is that normal or is this thing fried? was charging 14volts at 5krpms up until it left me stranded last sunday with a dead battery. battery is brand new, was 100% charged before hitting the lake sunday. ran around for maybe 2hrs and when we went back to the ramp, killed the motor to back the trailer down, motor was hell to crank(battery dead). when i got home i noticed the flywheel magnet broken so i pulled the flywheel and noticed the yellow wires from the stator had melted alil at the barrel connections. the other 2 wires were fine, just the 2 yellow wires melted alil, but fine past the barrel connections.

is this right:

Disconnect the green/white and the white green leads.
Connect the red meter probe to the white/green wire.
Connect the black meter probe to the Green/white.
Resistance should read 500-600 ohms.

Also, to check for a grounded condition:
Connect the black probe to ground, and connect the red probe to the green/white, it should read infinity, or no continuity.

Then check it to the white/green wire.

i've got a flywheel on the way(p#261-9008a54 272.00 bucks:rolleyes: ), but wanted to make sure my stator was good or not before reassembly.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1998 force 120hp red stator testing

If the stator doesn't show any signs of overheated windings (burnt areas, discolored bubbled up areas), then it is probably OK. Those resistance readings are within the normal range. Once you get it back together you can check the charging voltage again. The 14 volts D.C. you mention is normal. I would imagine that a missing magnet would affect the engine's ability to generate proper voltage for both the ignition and charging systems.

If you don't see 14 volts DC, then it's either the stator or voltage regulator/rectifier assy. Stator output to the regulator/rectifier assy. should be around 16 volts A.C. (depending on RPM's). If that's OK then I would lean towards a bad rectifier/regulator assy.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1998 force 120hp red stator testing

It sound like you need a new flywheel:eek: and hopfully your stator is OK good luck