1998 225 Yamaha Internal Zincs

captain537

Cadet
Hello<br />1998 225 Yamaha Saltwater Series with 1100 hours.<br />There are 4 internal zincs in the motor, I have never heard of anyone changing them, most people don't even know they exist.<br />Any comments on this subject??<br />thank you<br />Bruce

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 225 Yamaha Internal Zincs

Hello<br /> have you ever seen the zincs or how they are mounted ?<br /> post a reply and I will discuss it further :)

captain537

Cadet

I actuallay bought the zincs, they are the pencil type, 2 are short and 2 are longer, she showed me in the blow up they order the parts from where they go, but it wasn't that clear. I figured when I got home I could figure it out, but could not determine where they go. I was just going to change them out anyway seeing as how I have 1100 hrs.<br />Today I ordered a Yamaha service repair manual from the dealer.<br />The 4 zincs were about 20.00, I don't remeber exactly.<br />Thanx for your reply<br />Bruce

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br />well bruce if its like most of the imternal zincs iut was a good idea that went horribly wrong. I reccomend cutting off the pencil and just placing the head under the rubber seal on the zincs that stick into the cylinder. I have had to many break off and clog the passage between the cylinders. if you wish to keep them then you really should shorten the maintenace to every 200 hours.<br /> the block zincs are located about half way up the outside of each bank.<br /> on the port side its behind the engine fuel filter.on the stbd side its behind the electrical panel. panal must be removed for access. on the heads they are at the bottom. a small oval shaped thing with a 10mm head bolt holding it on<br />Did you get new seals as well as zincs?<br /> you really should replace the seals with new ones each time the zinc is removed<br />good luck and keep posting. <br />like I said if your not going to keep them changed I would eliminate them. they usually dont work anyway. they calcify about the 3rd time they dry out and quit working

BRIAN03

Petty Officer 1st Class

The anodes work. The only time you would replace the anodes (on the old blocks) is on a rebuild. You need to pull the cylinder heads to replace them. The new style block they can be relaced from the back of the cylinder heads without removing the heads. Yamaha put the anodes in the block because of the reconstatuted Material the blocks are made from. They are more pron to electrolis. Ive never seen them come loose.