1998 120hp force reeds?

IMPATIENT 1

Seaman Apprentice
yes its me again:D:D got the dang exhaust plate on and the motor stopped milking, so that's another issue down but #1 still misses. i pulled out all the reed blocks and sure enough #1 has a reed broken. can i just buy and replace all the reeds by themselves. all i can find on the net is reed blocks:rolleyes: anybody got the stock 1998 force reed p#? i'd like to replace them all, not interested in the brogueson(sp?) reeds, just looking to make this thing run like new. btw, i found the reed in the block;)

anybody got the stock p# on the reeds or does the entire block have to be changed?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 120hp force reeds?

Apparently, broken reeds are common on later Force engines made by Mercury. You should be able to buy just reed petals. Try looking up reed petals or reed plates.

see my private message.

IMPATIENT 1

Seaman Apprentice

Apparently, broken reeds are common on later Force engines made by Mercury. You should be able to buy just reed petals. Try looking up reed petals or reed plates.

see my private message.

thanx frank. i wanna get a full set of stock new 1's, just to start over fresh. i just sold a turbo , so i've got alil spare $$$ to drop into the force , again:rolleyes: i'm just looking to replace all 16 petals, that way i know when it was done and who did it.

IMPATIENT 1

Seaman Apprentice

ok, i've got the block p#(855952T), but i can't find the damn reed p# anywhere for stock reeds. i just wanna unscrew the reeds, replace em, set clearence on the stops and put em back on. there's no reason my blocks need to be changed, someone has gotta sell stock metal replacement reeds for these blocks:mad:

anyone got the reed p#

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Just remember to use thread locking compound on the screws. The engine will eat them without it.

Unfortunate for you: I have 16 square reeds but I am saving them to play with later on, just to see what they will do for an older Chrysler, to satisfy my curiosity as to whether reeds will make a noticable difference in power.

For those who don't know, there are four reed blocks in the four cylinder engine and each reed block takes four (two petal) reeds. Thus: 16 reeds.

RRitt

Captain

why not use boyensen? When it comes to Force engines I would trust Yugo engineering more than mercury.

IMPATIENT 1

Seaman Apprentice

i like keeping some things stock, but if boyensen sells replacement petals, i'd be all for it. looks like ya gotta buy the stops and all, and for the life of me , i can't find a ad for the boyenson reeds that show how many come to a pack. guess i'll just order a new block, that'll give me 3 spare petals to keep on hand from the old block:rolleyes: block is 110 shipped, boyensons are 110 a pack which will only do 1 reed block right? well, then i'd have to change out the other 12 and that'd be another 330bucks. guess the smartest thing i can do is just get the stock block on its way:rolleyes:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Boyeson are local for me--like 15-20 miles away--I almost drive past on the way to work. Last time I called about a few years ago, a full set for a 4 cylinder Chrysler was $125. But having seen a set in an Evinrude that I rebuilt, I must say I was unimpressed enough that I would not put them in my engines.

Yeah! maybe they do work well but I just didn't like the look of them and I am from the old school of engineering: If it doesn't look right, It ain't gunna work right. Strange----for me, women are like that too! OOPS! Sharing again---

IMPATIENT 1

Seaman Apprentice

Boyeson are local for me--like 15-20 miles away--I almost drive past on the way to work. Last time I called about a few years ago, a full set for a 4 cylinder Chrysler was $125. But having seen a set in an Evinrude that I rebuilt, I must say I was unimpressed enough that I would not put them in my engines.

Yeah! maybe they do work well but I just didn't like the look of them and I am from the old school of engineering: If it doesn't look right, It ain't gunna work right. Strange----for me, women are like that too! OOPS! Sharing again---

lol:D

i ordered a reed block.

RRitt

Captain

They can't be any worse than the mercs. If they broke and blew powerheads as much as Merc. then the lawsuits would have put boyensen out of business by now.

IMPATIENT 1

Seaman Apprentice

ok, for anyone searching this net tryin to figure out where to get factory replacement reeds for the force 120hp from 1993-up, they don't sell stock metal replacement reeds. mercury knew they had issues and didn't make replacement parts, only replacement blocks.

so here's you choices if you've broken just 1 lil reed and didn't destroy you r motor in the process:rolleyes:

choice 1 is to buy replacement block and hope that it doesn't cause idle issues since that new block will work and seal better than the other 3. only real choice is to buy all 4 new reed blocks to get a better tune-up, this will cost ya 109 bucks for each block, so that's about 436 bucks:eek:

choice 2 is boyeson reeds. not my 1st choice but as i wanted to change all the reeds in my 4cyl 1998 120hp force, well i wasn't gonna spend 450 bucks, so i order boyeson p#244 for the replacement reed kit for my 120hp force , 103 bucks delivered off ebay;).

hope that helps someone, i spent all weekend searching the net and noone could just say : MERCURY DOESN'T SELL REPLACEMENT REEDS FOR THE 120HP FORCE