1997 Yamaha 90 hp Questions

J.avant

Seaman
I'm looking at buying a used boat that has a 1997 90 hp Yamaha motor.

Has anyone had any experience with these engines?
How reliable,how are they on gas?

Pros/cons.

John

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 1997 Yamaha 90 hp Questions

I've been running a 1999 Yamaha 90C since new with no problems at all. The Yamaha 3 cylinder mid-range motors have to be some of the very best. Mine is a carbed, pre-mix motor and I like it for it's simplicity and ease of maintenance. Clean, fresh fuel is key to these motors excellent performance.
It would be better if you can find a "fresh-water" motor, rather than a "salt-water" motor. Install a fuel/water seperator. Buy a Yamaha Manual for your motor. Good Luck!

robert graham

Admiral

Regarding fuel usage, go to: Yamaha Outboard Performance Bulletins, plug in your boat and motor for good info on MPG, MPH, GPH on your particular set-up. Rule of thumb is Wide Open Throttle GPH is 10% of motor HP, or in your case about 9 GPH. Of course these figures would be some better for the newer 4 stroke motors.

J.avant

Seaman

I've been running a 1999 Yamaha 90C since new with no problems at all. The Yamaha 3 cylinder mid-range motors have to be some of the very best. Mine is a carbed, pre-mix motor and I like it for it's simplicity and ease of maintenance. Clean, fresh fuel is key to these motors excellent performance.
It would be better if you can find a "fresh-water" motor, rather than a "salt-water" motor. Install a fuel/water seperator. Buy a Yamaha Manual for your motor. Good Luck!

Yeah...This motor is on a 16' bass boat. So I asume it's fresh water?

I haven't seen the boat in person yet but I wanted to know a little about the engine first.

I don't know which motor is what as far as premix vs oil reservoir. There is nothing on top of the engine cowl. I've seen where some of the Yamaha engines have a black cap on top of the engine which I think you pour in the oil for the reservoir.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe ask the guy where motor has been run mostly(fresh or salt), when was last new water pump impeller installed, is he a preventive maintenance type of guy or one who just waits for stuff to tear up? Either pre-mix or oil injected is fine, I just prefer the simplicity of pre-mix. Be sure to take the boat/motor to the lake for a ride and see how it runs before you buy it.

J.avant

Seaman

Maybe ask the guy where motor has been run mostly(fresh or salt), when was last new water pump impeller installed, is he a preventive maintenance type of guy or one who just waits for stuff to tear up? Either pre-mix or oil injected is fine, I just prefer the simplicity of pre-mix. Be sure to take the boat/motor to the lake for a ride and see how it runs before you buy it.

OK...I'm going to look at it this afternoon. I'll do just that, look it over for signs of salt water use. I can tell what type of maintenance person he is by looking the boat over. He does live right on the Gulf. He said it's been in brackish but nothing heavy. What do you think?

John

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Salt is salt, if living on gulf I would consider it a salt motor.
You need to make sure the bolts will still come out when needing to change pumps, t-stats,etc.

robert graham

Admiral

If it's the gulf of Mexico or any other ocean gulf then it's primarily a saltwater motor and 13 years of that will have it's effect on that motor. Like I say, a freshwater motor would most likely be a lot better bet in the long run, but check it out.

J.avant

Seaman

If it's the gulf of Mexico or any other ocean gulf then it's primarily a saltwater motor and 13 years of that will have it's effect on that motor. Like I say, a freshwater motor would most likely be a lot better bet in the long run, but check it out.

Thanks again for your input. I have decided not to get the boat because of it being a 13 year salt water motor.

I purchased a 15 hp johnson for parts one time and it was a salt water motor. You were right I couldn't get the engine apart to sell any of the parts at all so that was a loss on my part.

Thanks again,John

robert graham

Admiral

You've almost certainly saved yourself a lot of headaches and expenses by passing on that motor. Hopefully you can find a nice freshwater motor to suit your needs.

J.avant

Seaman

Thanks to this forum I feel like I saved myself some pain and misery.

Thanks again,John