1997 OMC Cobra 5.7GI Loss of Power before planing.

Robinero

Cadet
This is my second post about this issue but I've learned a few things since. I have a problem with my boat losing power when at about 2500 to 3000 RPMs. I can throttle back and it will recover and run normally. The engine does not run rough when this occurs it's almost as if it loses spark. I originally thought it might be fuel delivery problem but the shop claims they checked that. Actually, I read that the engine will go into Engine protection mode when it loses oil pressure or overheats. This is what seems like to me is happening. My gauges read fine but I understand that a oil pressure switch can fail and won't effect the oil pressure reading on the gauge. I read where you can disconnect these devices and run the engine to determine if they are the cause. If any of this makes sense let me know. My probelm is I don't know where to locate these on the engine. Please help.
BTW The shop tells me the ECM is throwing a code and causing this but they don't have a scanner to read the codes.
Model:57FAPLKD
SN:T01298400
Thanks.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 OMC Cobra 5.7GI Loss of Power before planing.

This is my second post about this issue but I've learned a few things since. I have a problem with my boat losing power when at about 2500 to 3000 RPMs. I can throttle back and it will recover and run normally. The engine does not run rough when this occurs it's almost as if it loses spark. I originally thought it might be fuel delivery problem but the shop claims they checked that. Actually, I read that the engine will go into Engine protection mode when it loses oil pressure or overheats. This is what seems like to me is happening. My gauges read fine but I understand that a oil pressure switch can fail and won't effect the oil pressure reading on the gauge. I read where you can disconnect these devices and run the engine to determine if they are the cause. If any of this makes sense let me know. My probelm is I don't know where to locate these on the engine. Please help.
BTW The shop tells me the ECM is throwing a code and causing this but they don't have a scanner to read the codes.
Thanks.

If you're paying a "shop" to do the work, I would think about NOT paying them and finding one (like a Volvo dealer) that can fix it..........It sounds like it's their problem.

Robinero

Cadet

This boat is new to me so in addition to getting it fixed I'm trying to learn some things about it. I have picked up the boat and will be taking to a volvo shop. I would just like to know for instance:
* What does the letters in the model number mean?
* If it is actually a volvo is there a volvo engine number I can look up that is synonomous to this OMC number. Volvo's website does not recognize the Model or serial #?
* Is the wiring the same (i.e color code) as a volvo GI. I have a wiring diagram for that but I also don't know if it is a GI-A, GI-b etc. Does the A in the model # mean its a GI-A?
Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Robinero

Cadet

Maybe I should not be so long winded. Let me rephrase the question.
Does anyone on this forum know where I can PLEASE get Data, Repair Manuals, Engine ID info, Parts, and most importantly Electrical Schematics for the following engine?
1997 OMC Cobra 5.7GI

Kup

Recruit

I had exactly the same issue. Long story short.... It was the oil pressure switch that failed. What happens when that switch fails is it sends a ground signal to the ECU telling the computer there is no oil pressure, the ECU responds by shutting off a fuel injector once the rpm reach 2500. I disconnected the wire to the switch (removing the constant ground the failed switch was sending) and the engine ran perfect. Above 2500 rpm I touched the wire to a ground and and instantly lost half the engine, once below 2500 the other injector comes back. When these things fail in cars it kills the engine and you cannot start or run until fixed. And it was reading your original post that saved me 1k. Everything pointed to the ECU and I was going to order one until I read your thread.....