1996 rinker 4.3 lx found a peice of metal wedge behind prop, any idea what it is?

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I notice a piece of my stabilizer broke and my tab a little crooked. When I tried to spin the prop it had a little resistance. I notice it looked like metal was grinding inside. Here is what I found. Anyone know what it is from inside foot of motor?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1996 rinker 4.3 lx found a peice of metal wedge behind prop, any idea what it is?

Here is what I found. Anyone know what it is from inside foot of motor?

You forgot the picture. But I bet it looks like half of item 7 in the picture below. If so, it's the exhaust shutter.

Untitled2.jpg

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1996 rinker 4.3 lx found a peice of metal wedge behind prop, any idea what it is?

behind prop.jpg

metalbehindprop.jpg
Here it is, my phone couldnt load the picture on here.

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I does have holes in it like the exhaust shutter, and my plastic stablizer has a chuck broke off. Maybe the other side of exhaust shutter, if that is what it is, hit it? And my tab is turned a little also. What does exhaust shutter do, and it still was running good when i left the lake? Thanks

Oshkosh1

Ensign

The quicksilver water shutter I have is mostly rubber...the only metal is the hinge pin which is nothing more than a square piece seperating the two halves.

The shutter itself acts as a sort of "check valve" to prevent water from surging up through the exhaust stream and into the manifold/engine when slowing/stopping.

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Where is the exhaust shutter located? In the motor or in the drive? So, a damaged exhaust shutter can let water in the engine? Finally, how hard is it to replace? Can i fix it myself?

Don S

Where is the exhaust shutter located?
In the top of the Y pipe, just below the elbow. See my picture above

In the motor or in the drive?
Neither, in the Y pipe, see above

So, a damaged exhaust shutter can let water in the engine?
Yes, it's possible.

Finally, how hard is it to replace?
Not bad if you have some mechanical abilities and tools.

Can i fix it myself?
I don't know you, or your abilities, so that is kind of un-answerable.

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yep, took both exhaust apart and both exhaust shutters were gone. Only the middle bar remained. Is the a way to blow out the pipe to make sure the other part flew out? Also, will the replacements be rubber? I guess I can reuse those rubber boots too?

Don S

Remove the drive and look into the exhaust bellows, and the back side of the drive. There could be pieces stuck in the vertical exhaust passage as well. Hard to say where they could get hung up.

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To remove the drive, is it just those 6 bolts on the drive and unbolt the hydraulic?

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

To remove the drive, is it just those 6 bolts on the drive and unbolt the hydraulic?

yep, and put the out-drive in forward gear so the shift linkage can release the drive, and don't forget the speedo hose. Tilt the drive all the way up and look at the front of the drive and you'll see what we mean.