1996 3.0 LX Mercruiser Problem

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1996 3.0 LX Mercruiser, the problem is I did a tune, spark plugs, wires, Dist cap, rotor, changed the oil and filter also the gasoline filter. I ran it today and it ran great, the only problem is when I shut the key off, the motor didn't shut off right away it kept runnig on for a few seconds before it shut off, also when I tried to start the motor again a grinding noice came out of the starter area. Can anyone help me with these problems?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: 1996 3.0 LX Mercruiser Problem

sounds like a sticky ignition switch at the helm

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay could you explain that more explicitly, I'm new to I/O's.

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the link Rocky I know what the problem is, I put in regular auto spark plugs not marine plugs. How's the saying, penny wise, dollar foolish.

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I know what caused the dieseling but when I try to start the motor a grinding noice comes out of the starter area every now and then.

I have a simlar issue. I have problems with hot starts and use the starter quite a bit. Mechanic said it was the starter and needs replaced. Asked if I could just replace the part that engages the fly wheel (believe this is part wearing out) and he said it is best to rebuild the starter $175 in my area. Mine has been grinding for the majority of this season. Hope it lasts till the off season.