1994 Suzuki 9.9 HP Two Stroke Short Shaft - Questions

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am very new to boating and outboards. I picked up a used 1994 Suzuki 9.9 hp two stroke short shaft for a pretty good price. I searched the forum for specific answers for my questions but couldn't find. Thanks in Advance for help.

1) Is the throttle supposed to be springloaded like motorcycle throttle? In other words, when you increase the throttle and let go of the handle is it supposed to come back to idle? Mine does not do that so I am wondering if it is broken.
2) Does this motor have the option to be raised up / tilted up (lifted from water) when not used or when you come across rocks and such? I didn't see any levers to do this.
3) What are the following parts in the pictures? I couldn't find what they were for.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• photo272696.jpg
    photo272696.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 0
  • photo272697.jpg
    photo272697.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The throttle is working correctly, no issues there.

​Yes there should be a lever to move that will allow the motor to tilt up and be held in that position, but since this is an older motor and not one that people see very often, the exact location may not be something most can comment on.

​I've used one of those motors, but it was quite a few years ago, so I know it did tilt and do all the normal things, I just can't remember where the lever is or how it functions.

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The throttle is working correctly, no issues there.

​Yes there should be a lever to move that will allow the motor to tilt up and be held in that position, but since this is an older motor and not one that people see very often, the exact location may not be something most can comment on.

​I've used one of those motors, but it was quite a few years ago, so I know it did tilt and do all the normal things, I just can't remember where the lever is or how it functions.

Thanks appreciate it!

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Last night I had a little bit more time and I was messing with these levers and I figured these out. This thread can be closed now. thanks.